Can you solve the clues? I-Spy quilt (pic and clue heavy)

This is awesome!

1 Like

oh dearā€¦i just spent some time trying to do the clues!!! What funā€¦and great clues to match the front.

I am in awe that you found so many different fabrics to use for the frontā€¦

Wonderful projectā€¦hope you have a lot of nieces and nephews so we can see a lot more of your unique quilts!

1 Like

This is such a fun and thoughtful gift! They are lucky to have such a great aunt as you!

1 Like

Wow, this must have taken forever! I love how the rolled-up package looks, with the strategically placed magnifier on it. This rocks!

1 Like

This is just the coolest!

1 Like

Congrats! Your I-Spy Quilt is one of this weekā€™s featured projects. You are awesome!

1 Like

Wow! This may be a basic question, but how did you print the clues onto the fabric?

The idea in itself is so much fun, but then the fabric choices are just top notch! And that magnifying glass is hecka cool.

LOL A couple years ago, I got in a FB limerick battle with a friend and for days every thought in my head came in limerick form.

This is so cool top to bottom, side to side, and (of course) front to back!

Thank you all so much for your kind comments!!

That was definitely one of the fun parts of making this quilt! I wanted fabrics that would work well but wouldnā€™t be too ā€œbaby-ish.ā€ I bought a lot of fat quarters, regular quarter yards, a few half-yards, and at least one full yard. The good thing is that I have enough fabric to do a lot more of these quilts, the bad thing is that I want to buy more :grin:.

Thank you!! :grinning:

I backed the fabric with freezer paper, then cut it down to printer paper size (I later bought some 8.5 x 11" sheets of freezer paper to make it more convenient), then I ran it through my inkjet printer and heat set it with a hot iron. I tried doing color and black. I found that the black would remain after being washed, but the color would not. I also tried doing some gray magnifying glasses and printed them with black ink, but they became ink smears once the water hit them. I found an ink setting liquid called ā€˜bubblejet 2000ā€™ that is supposed to treat the fabric so that even colored ink becomes permanent. I bought some, but havenā€™t tried it out yet.

Yes! Thatā€™s how it was! It was like my brain chomped down on the need to come up with riddles and refused to release it for awhile :roll_eyes:.

2 Likes

It definitely took a while to fussy cut all the center squares (I cut quite a few from each novelty print so Iā€™ll be ready for the next I-spy quilts), but the actual piecing together didnā€™t take too long.

I had seen a tutorial for this kind of 9-patch quilt in the past and it had the quilter piecing together small squares with the sashing and then piecing those together with the larger focal squares. So I was really happy when I came across a tutorial that showed how to make this quilt by sewing together 3 rows of 3 squares, then cutting in half across the length and the width and voila, you end up with the focal square with sashing and tiny squares already attached! It made for a pretty easy pattern!

2 Likes

I love this! Iā€™m making one right now that is 80 5in squares in blocks of 4 with sashing between. The square collecting is hard. Especially since Iā€™m making twoā€¦

2 Likes

Ooh, I look forward to seeing your completed quilts! Are you planning on using different images for the quilts, or will you be using a lot of the same squares?

I agree that the fabric collecting can be tough (especially with 80 squares :open_mouth:), but itā€™s definitely one of the more fun parts too! I plan on making 4 more quilts. I just discovered that spoonflower has a ā€˜fill a yardā€™ option that allows you to fill a yard with 42 images from various fabrics. I created this panel of quilting cotton during a half off sale. The squares are 6ā€ each, but easy enough to cut down.

5 Likes

what a cool idea! I would keep it as is and use those as my quilt lines

1 Like

Easiest I-spy quilt ever!

1 Like

Absolutely! Especially if you needed to make one quick

1 Like

Thatā€™s great my grandson would lose his mind over that quilt.

I have used the bubbler jet 2000 homemade solution and it worked great. You can also buy pigment inks for your printer and heat set.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to know that the bubbler jet 2000 solution works well! I bought some earlier this year, but I havenā€™t used it yet.

Wowza! This is incredible and so much fun!

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like