I-Spy Quilt #3

I finished my third I-Spy quilt! It was a 12th birthday gift for my nephew and it was really sweet to see how much he liked it :blush:. I cut up some of the paw prints from the fabric backing and taped it to the outside of the shipping box to make it more fun. It made me smile when the first thing he said before opening the box was that he really liked the paw prints on the outside.

The yellow inner border was not something I had planned when starting the quilt. But after I got the inside squares done and laid the outer border next to them to see how it would look, I knew it needed something in between. I happened to have a small bit of yellow on hand and after auditioning various fabrics for an inner border, the yellow was the clear winner!

My previous I-Spy quilts have the solid clue strip color going all the way to the top and bottom of the quilt, whereas this one ended up with more of a ‘floating’ look, which I really like!

My favorite square (this looks a lot like my nephew’s dog):

Clues:

I used my embroidery machine to quilt the borders with a paw print design:

A coordinating pillowcase (wait, what? How does that coordinate? It uses the same fabric as the bottom right square, that’s how :wink:):

Folded and ready for shipping:

And of course, a pic of my favorite quilt helper, who is powerless to resist a quilt on the floor :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :

Previous I-Spy quilts - (1, 2)
I-spy quilt stats - 3 down, 2 to go, 0 in progress

22 Likes

Your I-Spy quilts are all amazing! The clues on the back are such an awesome detail. So much fun!

1 Like

Thank you :blush:.

1 Like

What a great quilt! Love it

1 Like

I love, love, love this! You are such a sweet aunt, and this is so much fun. The yellow border looks great; you chose well.

1 Like

I just love this! So fab.

1 Like

Another adorable I-Spy quilt! Perfect for that cutie!

1 Like

Aw, this is so great!

1 Like

Amazing! These quilts are so cool!

1 Like

Love it! You chose the most delightful fabrics. My favorites are the guinea pig and the alien. :green_heart:

1 Like

You are on fire with these dear! And the yellow really makes the border pop against the patchwork. Beautifully done!

1 Like

Thank you so much, everyone!

@MightyMitochondria, both of those fabrics came from the Spoonflower fill a yard option. I was able to fill a yard with 6” squares of varying designs, which was the perfect way to get a lot of fun and different squares for the quilt!

1 Like

Wow! I didnt know Spoonflower offered that. What a great deal!

It’s an even better deal when they’re having a sale :wink:.

1 Like

:mermaid: YOWZA! Your fantastic craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :woman_fairy:

1 Like

Thank you :blush:.

1 Like

What a fun, magical, practical gift! I’m sure it’ll be a real keepsake!

1 Like

What a wonderful gift!
I’m glad your nephew did not feel ‘too old’ for it.
Who wouldn’t want to receive it, no matter what age?

And your little quilt helper is adorable too!
I bet he found all the answers before the quilt was given away…

1 Like

I feel the same way! It made me smile when my mom told me that he took it to a family gathering to show it off the day he received it. :blush:

2 Likes

Aw, that’s wonderful!

1 Like