Cardinal Bracken Cardigan

For his birthday, I made the Bracken Cardigan for my DS1. He wanted it red, and this lovely cardinal red superwash wool was on sale (yay!).

The pattern was easy to follow, but I did make a few superficial changes… a bit longer in the sleeves and body, fewer and larger buttons, no thumb hole in the cuffs, different stitches for the ribbing, wider and denser button placket. I would love to make this pattern again in my size - it looks cozy!

15 Likes

Great color! Great stitching, as well. There were originally MORE buttons?!?!
:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Yes! The pattern called for about a dozen 1/2" buttons! That seemed like nothing but frustration to me, though.

1 Like

That does indeed look cozy…and beautiful colour!

1 Like

Cozy indeed! It came out awesome!

1 Like

You make such awesome sweaters!
I agree, you should make this in your size coz I want to see it!! :grin:

1 Like

That looks wonderful! The colour is really lovely & vibrant and the hood looks snug & cosy. That is certainly enough buttons, oh my!
Your ribbing is great. Is it front post? What did the pattern call for? I would like to make a sweater but do not knit so crochet it will be, if ever I manage it. I’d want nice looking ribbing with good stretch & bounce-back. Some stitches are good for that & others… not so much!

1 Like

Thanks, everybody!

@Magpie, I used front post/back post dc. The pattern called for fpdc/hdc - I’m assuming it makes it flatter on the wrong side of the garment, but hdc always messes me up with the way the top of the stitch is always off to the side of the post. I didn’t want the headache of trying to keep that straight, so I went with my default fpdc/bpdc ribbing.

@Bunny1kenobi I need to finish spinning for my sweater! I’ve been in gift-making mode most of the year with no end in sight. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer, I wonder if it makes a difference in appearance or wear, hmm…

1 Like

This is a gorgeous cardigan! A really great red and a really nice looking shape!

2 Likes

Thank you! Washing and blocking it made a huge difference in both texture and shape.

1 Like

Woohoo! Your cozy cardigan is one of this week’s featured projects! GO YOU! :partying_face: :star:

1 Like

Wow! Thank you!