Carrot cake

This morning, I made carrot cake for the first time. The recipe comes from an old Dutch book. It ended up being much easier and much tastier than I had imagined, so I’m sharing the recipe with you guys. Unfortunately I did forget to take a picture … It was really tasty, so one loaf was finished in a couple of hours and the other went into the freezer.

Ingredients (for 1 10" cake pan or two smaller loaves)

• 200 gr. butter, margarine or vegetable oil (I used margarine)
  • 200 gr. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 300 gr. flour
  • 400 gr. grated carrot - try to make sure it’s not too moist
  • 3 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 100 ml milk
  • pinch of salt

Cream the butter and sugar together, add eggs one by one.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder.
Add the milk to the butter /egg / sugar mixture and fold into the dry ingredients.

Bake at 160C (convection) or 180C (regular oven) for around 40 minutes.

For frosting:

• zest one one lemon
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 175 gr of powdered sugar
  • 250 gr fresh cream cheese

Mix ingredients together. Add to the cake when it has cooled down to room temperature.

I tried grating the carrots in my blender, it has a special setting for grating food. The only issue is pieces of carrot would block the blade and I’d have to reach into the blender to unblock the blade (of course, with the blender turned off and using the tool that comes with the blender!!! Blender blades are really, really sharp). Next time I’ll probably grate them by hand.

I had wondered if the recipe would be a bit bland, since the only spice in the recipe is cinnamon, but I didn’t think it was bland at all. I also had no idea carrot cake included this much carrot. I think it should count as a serving of vegetables!

10 Likes

I love a home made carrot cake. Good choice!

1 Like

Yummy! The perfect spring bake.

1 Like

Carrot cake is one of my favorites! I think if you consume vegetables, it counts. Even if slathered with sugar and flour, etc.

2 Likes

Nice! Now I want to make a carrot cake…

1 Like