Catwoman Neon Cake

Hello there! I made a cake emulating neon in my favorite medium (sponge cake with a butter-based batter decoration baked in the top layer). This is a chocolate-based cake with just a bit of black food coloring. The frosting in the middle is American buttercream (butter, powdered sugar, a little cream). I’m happy with it, but next time (if I try neon again), I’d want to use an actual neon food coloring for the tubes. The normal color is just a little too dark-even when lightened with white food coloring.

If you don’t get the reference, it’s from Tim Burton’s Batman Returns — a great neon sign in Selina Kyle’s apartment. My sweet husband actually got me my own Hello There/Hell Here neon sign last year for my 40th and cemented his standing as best man ever. I’ve wanted one since I first saw the movie in 1992. It’s a shame I can’t get the cake to blink like the sign! image

16 Likes

That is just gorgeous!

2 Likes

That is rad!

2 Likes

Very, very cool! And it looks delicious too.

1 Like

Such a pretty cake. Also one of my all time favorite movies - my sister and I actually pulled out my mom’s old Singer sewing machine and tried to sew ourselves catsuits. Selena made it look easy.

2 Likes

Wow, that neon effect is so cool!!

1 Like

thats one beautiful cake…and i agree…neon food colouring would make it pop that little bit extra…

1 Like

This is super cool. The black is so black! :black_heart:

1 Like

That’s so cool! The text also gives me graffiti vibes too.

1 Like