Ceramic Ghala Cockatoo Pet Portrait

A friend asked if I could make a sculpture of another friend’s pet parrot for her. I had not done an official pet portrait in ceramics yet so I was excited by the challenge. She sent me many, many images of the ghala parrot that was her friend’s precious baby. I really enjoying working on this piece. I’ve included some in-progress shots so you can see some of the journey. My favorite part are the feathers near the top of my head. I really challenged myself to capture the layers and depth there.

25 Likes

Amazing skills my friend!

1 Like

Wow! This is amazing!

1 Like

Amazing! What a fantastic portrait of a cherished pet.

1 Like

That is super amazing! I bet it will be a cherished gift.

1 Like

This is stunning!

You have captured the pink and grey galah so, so perfectly! It’s amazing!

That’s great! Very nice!

WOWZERS! Not only is this an incredible representation of her bird, you’ve managed to capture some personality in its expression!

not gonna lie, I thought the first picture was THE REAL bird! Amazing that you were able to capture it perfectly!

1 Like

Thank you my dear. :heart:

:kissing_heart:

I hope so. The pandemic hit just as I was delivering it to the one who ordered it. So she stayed home and, as far as I know, has not mailed it out yet. lol

I love personal art. Hopefully it will stay with their family for a long time.

Thank you. :heart:

Thank you. It was a challenge because there aren’t many pink glazes available. I tested half a dozen on sample pieces before narrowing it to these two.

Thank you!

It was a fun challenge to get some of those lifted feathers, which are indicating that the bird is communicating.

Haha. Thanks so much. :heart:

2 Likes

WOW! That is amazing!

1 Like

Amazing! You did an incredible job making this!!

1 Like

Your Ceramic Ghala Cockatoo Pet Portrait is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

2 Likes

Awww. :blush: Thank you. :kissing_heart:

Very impressive, very professional!
It reminds me of wall vases popular in the '40s and '50s; exotic, detailed and colorful.

1 Like

Wow, phenomenal!

1 Like

i am blown away by the way you worked the ceramic to get such detail! fantastic!

1 Like

So realistic!

1 Like

This is stunning and the texture is so intricate. You’re a wizard with the clay!

1 Like