Ceramic Lidded Jar

I threw this piece for the Craft Stars Garage Sale! :rainbow: It matches another piece I made (Ceramic Plant Pot).

For this one, I used a white clay body from Laguna Clay. The glaze is a rich green finish called Rainforest Celadon. Iโ€™ve been in a blue era lately, so it was fun to work with green. I was also feeling quite fancy, so I braided a little rope for the lid.

Carving clay is always so relaxing. I could do this part for hours.

:sparkles: Craft Stars Garage Sale :sparkles:

24 Likes

Minnnnnne? :grin:

I really love this one. Iโ€™ll try not to pout as you pack it for its adoptive family.

1 Like

Love the shape, carvings and colors! Whoever wins that auction is a lucky duck!

1 Like

This jar is a wonderful little treasure, you chose a great color for it.

1 Like

Ooo!! Gorgeous green and I love the carved details!

1 Like

Really beautiful!!!

1 Like

Delightful! I love how the juxtaposition of the rope and the glazed clay bring out the texture details in each other. I can just hear the satisfying sound of the unglazed edges of the lid and the body rubbing against each other while using that rope handle to replace the lid.

3 Likes

So beautiful!

1 Like

I love the lid on this one. The rope is such a cool idea!

1 Like

I have open and closed it so many times just to experience this. :smile:

3 Likes

Thatโ€™s just lovely, the carving, the colour, the size, everything.

1 Like

This is an awesome wee pot.

1 Like

:sun_with_face: :rainbow: Woo hoo! Your cool craft is one of this weekโ€™s Featured Projects! :rainbow: :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Itโ€™s really lovely. It doesnโ€™t look American, the carving is beautiful plus the little rope for the lid gives it a quality like itโ€™s older than it really is. Ditto with the color. Itโ€™s just beautiful. It looks like it holds secret wishes.

1 Like

Lovely!

(I think I have this glaze on my wishlistโ€ฆ how does it work for brushing on? All the celadons Iโ€™ve worked with are basically dip-only b/c they donโ€™t flow worth a darn off of a brush.)

1 Like

Congrats on being a Featured Project!

1 Like

Aww, thank you. What origin does it remind you of?

1 Like

Once bisqued, I covered with a black underglaze wash then wiped it away with a sponge. Once dry, I brushed 3 thick coats of the Celadon. The inlay of the black underglaze gives the color a bit more contrast than when used on its own. Brushing seemed to work well. What type of brushes are you using?

2 Likes

Why thank you :smiling_face:

1 Like

Cool- Iโ€™ve tried various things, but also mostly using the celadons they mix at the art center where I do clay, so it may be that those are just optimized for dipping rather than brushing.