Cheerful Flowers Open Wide Zippered Pouch Trio

I created this set of open wide pouches for my MIL @Millykay for Christmas. I had wanted to create a pencil pouch as she’s being drawing more, and her current pouch was a plastic freebie one from something else on amazon. I used the Small size of the Open Wide tutorial, and then used the size guide there to create my own ‘Mini’ size, for sharpeners, erasers, and other small accessories. The Small and Mini are each lined with the opposite accent color.

Unfortunately the Small bag was a bit smaller than I imagined once the corners were boxed, and I was worried it wouldn’t hold enough art supplies So I decided to create one size up too. But by that point, I has nearly used up the yellow and teal accent fabrics, which were from fat quarters, though I had TONS more of the floral print. So I dug some dusty rose piping out of my stash, and covered it in the last of the yellow, and cut stripes of the last of the teal. Since I couldn’t line that one with one of the contrasts, I used more of the floral.

The fabrics and the zippers for the first two were stash, but when I decided to make the biggest one, I ran out and picked up the teal zip for the big one, so I could have a fun range of colors on them. Joann’s was running a Doorbuster sale on zippers, so I picked up a handful of colors for future pouches, because they were so much fun to make!

18 Likes

Ooh, this is so pretty with the yellow piping. Great fabrics.

1 Like

What a thoughtful gift, and of course, so well executed!

1 Like

You know I’m loving that cheery yellow! Sounds like a perfect gift.

1 Like

You are the bestest DIL!

2 Likes

What a great gift!
Your fabric combinations are lovely, and the pouches look great.

1 Like

These came out great! I love the improvised strip on the big one!

1 Like

I was really worried the seams on that one would be way too bulky, because the yellow piping was made OVER the dusty rose original piping. I just wrapped the yellow around it and used a zipper foot to stitch close to the edge. So where those joins are you have 6 layers of fabric and one piece of cotton cording (2 layers of rose, 2 layers of yellow, one of teal batik and one of floral), all meeting 6 more layers.

1 Like

Using the piping was a great way to fix the fabric issue and tie it all together. Glad it wasn’t too thick. They look great and will be useful in keeping her supplies together.

1 Like