Cheers, Marie! Altered Altoids Tin

I’m not sure if anyone was drinking Cosmopolitans back in Marie Antionnette’s day, but I’m pretty sure that if they were, Marie would have been a huge Cosmo fan. I know I am! In fact, we’ve made a dedicated Cosmo party shelf in our kitchen, where our martini glasses, the shaker, and a little container of rim sugar are kept. It also includes some Cosmo artwork; some by me, some by my friends. When I got this month’s kit from Alpha Stamps, all the pink reminded me of that shelf, and I decided to let Marie enjoy a Cosmo, at long last. Cheers, Marie!

I removed the cover of the tin, and covered the inside with some gorgeous pink floral paper, plus some black and white harlequin paper from my stash. I found a gold dollhouse frame which was the perfect size to frame a quote featured on some of that kit paper, which reads, “Life is nothing without passion”. Ain’t that the truth?

The outsides of the tin are also covered harlequin paper, and then adorned with some gold Dresden trim. A string of little red beads sits atop the rim. In the photo below, you can see that Marie’s yellow overdress overlaps her pink skirt a bit. I used two French Ballet Costumes collage sheets to achieve this look. I cut the yellow overdress at the “v” of the bodice and glued it only at the waistline of a full image of Marie. A couple of foam tape squares were inserted between the overdress and the skirt to separate the layers. Marie is adhered to the tin with 4 layers of foam tape, so she really stands out.

How about a little bonus photo of that Cosmo shelf? Yes, it has party lights. :grin:

34 Likes

I miss seeing your little altoid tins! This one is chock full of details…the little frame is wonderful…and there could be a lot worse things to pay homage to…but Cosmos…so worth it! lol

Lovely work, @racky! Cheers!

1 Like

This is so fabulous! It looks perfect on the cosmo shelf!

1 Like

Let them eat cake… and drink Cosmos! This looks like the perfect pairing.

2 Likes

Your stuff is always so cute. I have like 20 altoid tins but I need another hobby like I need a hole in my head.

2 Likes

This is quite possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever seen in my whole life!

1 Like

Another lovely altered tin! It looks right at home on your cosmo party shelf :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The beauty of altering Altoids tins is that they’re so small. They’re not too time consuming. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mmmmmm, cosmos.

Of course they would have been her favorite! Love every little detail.

2 Likes

To paraphrase a misquote, “Let them drink cosmos!”

All the opulence and extravagance suitable for the Dauphine!

3 Likes

Cheers, Racky!

2 Likes

This makes me smile :grinning:

2 Likes

This is too fabulous!!

1 Like

This is fantastic in every way! I love the bright color palette, and the dimension you achieved in such a small space.

1 Like

Congrats! Your Altered Altoids Tin is one of this week’s featured projects. You are too cool for school!

No, you are! Thanks for the feature, and cheers!

So great! If that’s just one shelf in your home, I’m imagining how fun the rest of it must be :smiley: (I love fairy lights too!)

1 Like

Full disclosure: that’s pretty much the only fun shelf here, unless you count the craft room, which is full of all sorts of crafty items, many from swaps. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats! Your project was one of the best of 2021! You are awesome!

Thank you!