Chocolate chips don't melt

I want to dip candies. I put chips and a little butter into a bowl, nuke it for 45 seconds, stir, nuke 15 seconds, stir, repeat…
The chips merge into a smooth mass, but don’t melt into dipping consistency.

If I keep repeating the microwave and stir sequence, they eventually overheat.

I’ve ruined two bags of milk chocolate chips, and have only one bag of white chocolate chips left. I don’t think that would taste right.
What the heck?

1 Like

I bet they’ve made them specifically to not get drippy in order to hold their shape. What about the bar chocolate from the baking section? Of course, there are candy melts, but there is something about them that makes me look sideways… even though I still have not actually read the ingredients.

I actually followed the directions on the chip package.
The candy melts are nasty, don’t contain any chocolate at all. But I suppose they melt well.

1 Like

Maybe try a double boiler. (I don’t have an actual double boiler, I just put water in a large saucepan and put the smaller saucepan in the water.)

2 Likes

So I put the second batch in a steel bowl over-not-in boiling water (I think that’s how the Joy of Cooking always says it).

The chocolate just sat there in a lump, sneering at me. I added a handful of the white chocolate chips, and the whole mass softened up, but not liquid enough to dip the candies. More time, lots of stirring, still not melted.

I guess I’ve got bad candy karma today. I also made a lovely, delicious caramel sauce that was supposed to be chewy coffee candies. The only thing that came out right was the bordeaux filling, that was supposed to get the chocolate covering. I guess we’ll have to eat them naked. Mmm or dipped in caramel…

eta. I meant the candy would be naked. But…

2 Likes

Yeah (in Australia at least) our choc chips stay in shape at what so you still get chunks of choc in cookies, muffins etc. We have choc melts, which are small discs of chocolate that I use for melting.

1 Like

I wound up rolling the candies in the soft chocolate. Ugly but tasty.

My husband’s birthday is this week, and Sees bordeaux is his favorite candy. Found this recipe

He says tastes like the real thing. Easy to make, no thermometer needed.

4 Likes

I’m curious if adding some of the shortening flakes would help? I have seen that on Wilton.com but have not had a reason to try it yet.

1 Like

Whenever I melt some chocolate I always melt it with some butter. Not sure if it would work with this recipe. I always put the pieces of chocolate (regular bars broken up, nothing fancy) and some chunks of butter in my porcelain fruit bowl over a saucepan of hot water.

2 Likes

I looked it up because, as a chocolate lover, this perplexed me.

2 Likes

another vote for adding a little fat to the chocolate pot when you want it to cooperate and its not. i do find i have much better luck over a double boiler than in the microwave.

when our chocolate goes funky at work from too much heating and reheating we turn it into rocky road by adding a bit more butter…letting it cool a bit and adding in some crushed up cookies, chopped nuts and marshmallows. or chocolate bark.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link.
I had a little butter in each batch, but didn’t think to add more. I added heavy cream to the first batch, and it siezed. Still tastes ok and that link suggests uses for it.

1 Like