Chonky Chawan (tea bowl)

I’ve been trying out some things that are atypical for me… namely, functional pieces, tea ceremony pieces, and trying not to be perfect.

This wonky chawan is a little bit lumpy (and distorted? asymmetrical?) on purpose, as I was tasked with the project of basically making a pinch pot and then modifying it a little bit on the wheel. Totally out of my comfort zone.

I think I like how it turned out.
: )

(Oh, and I made one matching sake cup.)

Thank you for looking!

30 Likes

Wonky = charming! They are perfectly imperfect :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love it! The wonkiness makes it even more lovely and pretty!

This rocks! :metal:t3:

3 Likes

I love your tea bowl and sake cup!
I’m not very good at wonky, so I appreciate it.

2 Likes

The colors are lovely and I like the slightly imperfect shape. Well done.

2 Likes

Beautiful colors!

2 Likes

It is the most beautiful set. The wonky seems intentional and natural and those colours are incredibly fresh and lively. I would not be able to resist this pottery.

4 Likes

Love these so much!

1 Like

These bowls are gorgeous and I love the colors. The “imperfections” help to keep a solid grip on them, as they would conform better to the shape of a hand. :heart_decoration::purple_heart::heart_decoration:

1 Like

Way to step out of your comfort zone. I think it paid off. :wink: Beautiful coloring.

1 Like

Oh it’s so cool! I love how it looks like spring—green grass and blue skies!

1 Like

Gorgeous! I want to touch it, I bet it feels lovely in the hand too!

1 Like

So pretty. I love the colors.

1 Like

I love the rustic nature of this bowl. I would use this over a more technically “perfect” piece. Great job.

:metal:

1 Like

Oh wow, thank you for all the lovely comments, everyone!

I like these colors too! I’m in a new studio, so I have new glazes to get used to (on top of a completely new kiln for everyone), so it’s exciting when the colors come out nice! (And I love a good matte glaze, heehee)

1 Like

love this, wonkiness+gorgeous glazes!!! Wonky pottery is my absolute favourite and I think hard to make on purpose. I’m always asking my pottery friends for the weird wonky stuff they usually ditch lol

1 Like

Such a cheerful color palette!

1 Like

chonky is my new favorite word! I love how full of life these are. Great job!

1 Like

It might not be perfect, but I think it has charm, great job

1 Like