Christmas Craftalong

I did some googling and I finally found a blog with a recipe for the legendary bread! We knew it as plas but apparantly it was originally called Platz (German for flat) and it’s a type of bread that seems to have been popular in the 19th century in the NL/German border area. The blogger had the recipe from her grandmother born in 1918. My great-grandparents lived in that area, married in 1914 and had my grandfather in 1919. So this recipe could be the real deal! My family was known to be resistant to any change so I guess they just kept up the tradition of ordering and old-fashioned bread for nearly a century even when the rest of the world stopped eating it. I never knew this backstory, just that I didn’t ever see this bread anywhere else. The recipe is a bit similar to that of the crust of vlaai (Rijstevlaai recipe )

List for this year!

Family:

• Try to bake Platz bread or find out if the bakery is willing to bake it for me
  • Gemberkoek Oma’s Dutch ginger butter cake
  • My sister and I have been thinking of having plates printed with grandma’s handwritten recipes. Failed to do this last year but will hopefully do it this year.
  • Maybe also copy some of the hand-written recipes into a little booklet for everyone.
  • Last year I made soap and included a bar in everyone’s package, but no one specifically mentioned the soap. I liked it, Mr. Imma didn’t, maybe it wasn’t a big success. The soap was a pandemic reference and I’m done with the pandemic, so maybe it’s time for a different type of box-filler.

Mother:

• Finish a quilt I started for my grandma and give it to her instead
  • A new pair of hand-knitted socks since she seems to wear the pair I knitted her last year a lot
  • Handmade card
  • A tiny little purse or zipper pouch from fabric from my grandma’s scrap bag
  • Handcream (bought)

Mr. Imma:

• He asked for a denim quilt, I’m not sure if it will be finished by Christmas
  • I’ve bought a pair of christmas socks on sale
  • He could use a new pair of flannel PJ pants
  • I’ve wanted to do an advent calendar for us for a few years, but I’m not sure if he’ll think it’s childish
  • Christmas stocking

Brother:

• tbd, probably something geeky
  • Christmas stocking

Sister:

• tbd, she’s always difficult because her tastes seem to change. But she’s starting to get into sustainability so maybe something related to that.
  • Maybe a tote bag? I have some cool fabrics that I think she would like.
  • Christmas stocking

Friend #1:

• tbd, maybe some Christmas decoration that’s Halloween/cat/goth themed
  • I bought a pair of Christmas socks
  • Christmas stocking

In-laws:

• honestly, kind of done with that, don’t think they’ve ever even acknowledged receipt. They are a bit socially inept (no offence meant) so I’m not sure if they don’t appreciate it or don’t know it’s polite to acknowledge receipt. Never seen anything I’ve gifted them in their home afterwards (we don’t celebrate Christmas together). Maybe something simple, I don’t dislike them or anything.

Myself:

• FINALLY get Silent night cross stitch framed!
  • Finish a Christmas embroidery kit that I bought for very cheap on clearance. It’s a nice DMC kit and our non-essential shops were closed from December to April or something so the Christmas stuff had to go asap.
  • Maybe even stitch some more for myself!
  • I also got those Christmas socks for myself! So Mr Imma and I and our friend will have matching socks. Yay!
  • Finish embroidered tablecloth
  • Winter-themed tablerunner, not specifically Christmas so can be used all winter
  • Finish hexie swap quilt

Some elderly relatives:

• More handmade cards

LC friends:

• Even more handmade cards! Not stitched though, when I bought the embroidery kit I also bought a few large stamps and those will allow me to make a few dozen cards in an afternoon instead of stitching up one a week.
6 Likes

That’s a great list. Suggestion for the in-laws- can you just make a little more of the food gifts and include them on that list? If I recall from previous comments, they are not exactly generous of spirit when it comes to gifts so maybe it would be nicer for you if you don’t overburden yourself with your end of things? You’ll still feel Christmassy putting it all together and planning the presentation, etc.

2 Likes

The food gifts are all very specific recipes we eat in my family, not very common dishes, I have no idea if they would even like them. But you’re right that it would be a much lower effort and it would still be a nice gesture. Mr. Imma’s family is just complicated. I try to be friendly and not get involved in drama. My in-laws are divorced, but both are experiencing bad health and we don’t expect either of them to be around for more than a couple of years. So as bad as it sounds, we’re just trying to keep on good terms with them for as long as they have left & we accept they each have their own quirks.

3 Likes

In-laws can be tough even without personality “challenges.” :wink: As long as you feel content and Mr. Imma feels respected I think that’s the best we can do.

3 Likes

Yes, you’re right. We’ve firmly stuck to the Your Parent, Your Problem - method from day 1, which has made life easier. We all have friendly, light-hearted contact with eachother’s family members, but we each do the difficult conversations with our own parents. Especially my MIL kind of feels I should get involved in drama more, but hey, he’s her son, he’s a adult, if there’s an issue take it up with him.

4 Likes

For any of you who may have missed the LC Class threads, I thought I’d let you all know that I’ll be teaching an online class for LC, in a few weeks. We will be making a rainbow sun catcher and a beaded bracelet with a charm. Kits are available for the low price of $11 (including shipping in the US), + $5 for the class itself, that goes to LC, to help us fund things like Challenge prizes. The kits include the same rainbow suncatcher seen in the link below, while the bracelet kits are completely custom to each person. I have over 1,000 charms to choose from, and tons of high quality beads, so you’re sure to get something you love. These would be fantastic as Christmas gifts! And could help you get some holiday crafting done early. :slightly_smiling_face:

Signups were due to close today, but we’re going to extend them a few more days to let more people join in.

4 Likes

I updated my list! I bought the first few Christmas gifts the other day. Christmas socks! They were on clearance from last year and I could not resist. I have a few more ideas now. Has anyone started yet?

2 Likes

Hard to believe in 4 months it will be Christmas, I’m trying to devote the next week to working on both Christmas stuff, and stuff for a classroom if I get one this year.

So here is my list

To Finish for myself
*Christmas throw
*Advent calendar
*HP Christmas tree

For Family decorations
*tree skirt
*stockings
*placemats/hot pads/ bread basket set

Stocking stuffers
*light bulb ornaments with soup or drink mixes in them
*kurig coffee holders
*chocolate letter covers

School
*coffee coasters
*ornaments

Mom
*placemat sets
*shirt

Dad
*potato bags
*garden stuff

Brother
*microwave bowls
*jimmy cups

Niece #1(15), #2(13), #3(10)
*???

Grandma
*placemat set
*stocking
*microwave bowls

2 Likes

Those are lot of great ideas! I might steal the placemat idea for my mum as well. She eats alone every night and she has cheap plastic placemats. A nice one might cheer up dinner for a bit.

I see you’re also making stockings! I’m from Europe and we don’t traditionally have Christmas stockings in my country, but I saw a really nice stocking panel so I couldn’t resist buying it. What is the backing usually made from? Cotton or something like felt? Are they usually lined?

1 Like

I am making stockings for my cats as well as for my nieces and nephews…

4 Likes

Now I feel less crazy for wanting to make a stocking for my friend’s cat…
This is the panel I ordered: Better Not Pout 10169-99 You Better Not Pout Panel Multi by Benartex Fabrics | Shabby Fabrics

And the cat looks just like my friend’s cat! Her cat has been a great emotional support for her through divorce and childlessness and you can’t make her happier than by giving gifts to her cat!

3 Likes

lol We don’t have kids but I love hanging stockings on the fireplace…so years ago, I started making stockings for my cats and filling them with cat treats and toys…we know it is mostly for us…the cats don’t care…lol

I like those panels…use a cotton for the back or even fleece! I do line my stocking and then embellish them with sequins and glitter stuff…

3 Likes

Add me to the list of people who hang stockings for their cats :joy:

5 Likes

I’m getting one for Pilot. I haven’t even thought about it before and now I have to have it.

6 Likes

yes, my cats and brothers dog get paw shaped stockings, my ducks and chickens will not because mainly they are for food comsumption (well the ducks are more like pets but don’t get anything special.
I make my stockings from cotton and line them with cotton as well.

2 Likes

First Christmas decor project completed, a thrifted frame makeover.

I’ve been trying to find a frame for a Christmas tile I got a few years ago (also thrifted :grin:) and I finally managed to find one!

The before:

And the after, with the tile set in

12 Likes

Wow, that looks great!! The idea is so simple but the frame is perfect for the tile. Great finds too!

1 Like

Making progress on this piece of embroidery for me! I had a very good weekend. I’ve been tired and not very creative lately recently, but it seems summer is finally starting here. Now it’s not clouded or raining I figured out that what I missed was the sun! Lack of warmth and light is what made me feel so bad. I cleaned the house, did loads of laundry, baked, gardened both days, and in my breaks I stitched this up.

14 Likes

It’s so cute!

2 Likes

The vintage looking Christmas tile is so cute!

I also love that the summer sun is perfect to get you in the mood to make holiday stuff, @Immaculata ! Lovely pattern for the time!

2 Likes