Magic Making with MistressJennie - An LC Community Class

:sparkles: :rainbow: :star: Magic Making with MistressJennie ! :star: :rainbow: :sparkles:

Welcome to our first ever Lettuce Craft Community Class! This thread will cover information and questions about our first ever group class.

Signup Dates: July 30-August 6, 2021

Class Date: Saturday, August 21, 2021 (3:00pm, CST/1:00pm PST.)

How Will the Class be Held: Zoom, with @kittykill Moderating. On the day of the class, participants will also receive a PDF with detailed photos so they can follow along.

Class Limit: 20 people; but if there are more folks interested in the class, we promise to hold a second session, so no one is left out.

Class Details: In this class MistressJennie will cover the use of beading wire and crimp beads, to make 1 rainbow suncatcher, AND 1 beaded bracelet with a charm. Kits will be available to order, and will be customized to each person who signs up. All suncatchers will be a rainbow of beads as pictured below, but the bracelets will be whatever color & whatever charm theme the participant requests. All of the supplies are top quality, with Czech glass beads, and Asfour crystal prisms.

Cost of Kits: $7.50, plus $3.50 shipping within the US. (International folks, I’ll have to figure your shipping based on your specific location.)

Cost of Class: The class fee to LC will be $5. So if you order a kit, it comes to a total of $16.

To Sign Up: Please fill out this Google Form - Lettuce Craft Class Signup - Magic Making with MistressJennie After signing up, you will be sent an invoice via PayPal to pay for the class and kit. Payment is due by August 9th. If payment is not made by then, you will be removed from the list and your spot will be filled from the wait list. Kits will not be sent until payment is received.

Please be patient as Pam & I navigate setting up this entirely new enterprise. :heartpulse:

Rainbow Suncatcher

Beaded Bracelet with Charm

:sparkles: :rainbow: :star: Participants :star: :rainbow: :sparkles:
@bethntim
@Fonduie
@heartofglass
@Camelama
@Edel
@AudiobookLover
@jellybean
@steiconi

17 Likes

Since I know at least a few folks will want to work from stash, and will skip ordering a kit, I’ve complied a detailed supply list. To give you a variety of sources, I have provided links to the supplies available from Amazon, Fire Mountain Gems, Walmart, and the Big Box craft stores here in the US. There is also an Amazon shopping list available here, with the same links as below.

Please note that TOOLS listed at the bottom are not included in the kits, and will need to come from stash, or be purchased by participants.

Class Supply List
Items for both projects; All included in Kits from MistressJennie

-Beadalon Beading Wire - 2 12" lengths of 7 Strand, .015 in / .38mm
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s (In Store)
Michael’s (In Store)
Hobby Lobby (In Store)
Walmart (In Store)

-Wire Guards - 3
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Michael’s (In Store)
Hobby Lobby

-Crimp Beads - 4
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s (In Store)
Michael’s (In Store)
Hobby Lobby (In Store)
Walmart

-Crimp Covers (4mm) - 4
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s (In Store)
Michael’s
Walmart

-Crystal or Prism, approximately 50mm long - 1
Amazon, Amazon 2, Amazon 3
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s 1, Joann’s 2, Joann’s 3, Joann’s 4

-Toggle Clasp Loop - 1
Amazon
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby
Walmart

-Glass Beads for Suncatcher - 8" length of 6mm-12mm beads (These can be a pre-strung mix from the craft store, or bits and bobs you have and love.)

-6mm Bead Caps - 2
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems 1, FMG 2, FMG 3, FMG 4,
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby
Walmart

-6mm Jump Rings - 1
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby
Walmart

-8mm Smooth Round Glass or Stone Beads (18 beads for an average bracelet)
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby

-Metal Spacer Beads 17 (6mm wide x 2mm thick)
Amazon: Bead Caps & Spacers, Just Spacer Beads
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby

-Lobster Claw Clasp - 1 12-13mm in length
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby

-Charm: 1 (12-24mm)

Tools Required: ( NOT Included in Kits )
-Needle/Chain Nose Pliers
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby
Walmart

-Cutters
Amazon - Set of Chain Nose, Cutters & Round Nose
Fire Mountain Gems
Joann’s
Michael’s
Hobby Lobby
Walmart

-Beadalon Micro Crimp Pliers
Amazon
Michael’s

-Tiny dishes or tray to hold your beads & findings - NOT required, but helpful!
Amazon
Fire Mountain Gems
Hobby Lobby

8 Likes

In an effort to be transparent about funds for classes and kits, please note that payments will go directly to @kittykill’s PayPal account, and she will reimburse me for the costs of the kits and postage. The class fee will remain with her, so she can continue to do awesome stuff to keep the site fun and engaging, like provide prizes for LC Challenges.

10 Likes

I’m very interested in taking this class, but I’m not sure if I’ll be free on the 21st. Will there be a recording of the session made available?

1 Like

This sounds really fun! So I hope you will make a new class later on, as I dont have the opportunity to participate this time. I hope you have a lovely day!

I know this will be a fun class! I’ll miss it this time, we’ll be away camping. Hope it goes very well!

1 Like

We are planning on recording the class, and posting it for future watching/rewatching. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this :grin:

1 Like

I’ll be away on vacation on the day of the class but will be with you in spirit! I’ll definitely try to catch a few class sessions.

1 Like

Friends, our first LC class is just a week away! Can you believe it??? Most of you should have received your kits by now. (I think just Jamie’s is still en route.) Please remember that your kits do not include the tools you’ll need. Any needle or chain nosed pliers, and wire/flush cutters you have for crafting will work just fine. But you will need the specific Beadalon Micro Crimp Pliers I linked to in the list above. Sorry, there’s no real replacement/cheaper/DIY option for these. If you haven’t ordered a pair yet, be sure to do so in time for class. I do promise that while they do just 1 task, you’ll find lots more things you can make with them that what we’re making in class! In fact, I’ll try to show some examples below…

@bethntim
@Fonduie
@heartofglass
@Camelama
@Edel
@AudiobookLover
@jellybean
@kittykill

4 Likes

I second that about the pliers! They are fantasic!

1 Like

The long strings holding the prisms in this canning jar lid suncatcher are all done with beading wire and crimp beads.

This rainbow rainstorm was made for my mother’s garden a few year’s back. Each strand of beads is a strand of beading wire, attached to the upper ring with crimp beads & crimp covers.

And finally my Rainbow Granny Hoop has strands of raindrops falling from the clouds, made with beading wire & crimps!

You can use the same techniques and tools to create necklaces, earrings, Christmas ornaments, etc. The possibilities are endless!

9 Likes

Can you guys tell I like rainbows? And that I arrange things in color order whenever possible? :rainbow:

8 Likes

I’m glad you reminded us about the crimp pliers. I purchased mine today (needed an excuse to go to the craft store! Lol!) I’m super excited!

3 Likes

Welcome late addition to the class @steiconi!

3 Likes

Do any of you have any questions in advance of Saturday’s class?

1 Like

Same here! They should arrive in today’s mail!

1 Like

Oops, never mind, you’re already doing this!.
@kittykill

:sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles:

Hey everyone! I’m going back through my handout for the class, and just realized that you will need 2 pairs of regular pliers (not the micro crimps!) for one of the steps. These can be two pairs of chain nose, or 1 chain nose and 1 needle/round nose. These can be from a specific jewelry making tool kit, or scrounged from your household tool box, whatever. If possible though, you’d do best with pliers that have no ‘teeth’ along their edges, so you won’t scratch up your jump rings.

As soon as I’ve finished my final look over of the class instructions, I’ll email you all a copy so you can print it out, and follow along during class. Feel free to ask any questions you might have as you gather your tools and supplies for tomorrow!

:sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles: :rainbow: :star: :rainbow: :sparkles:

2 Likes

Ugh ugh ugh, I have to WORK today. Saturday!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I shall miss the class!!!