Christmas Craftalong

Embellished kitchen towels for aunts and grannies! We bought those when I was a kid at a school fair!

4 Likes

Key fob, luggage tag, book mark, small zip pouch, eyeglass case, earbud/charge cord case, beaded bracelet with themed charm, fold up shopping bag, lanyard, tissue cosy, ornament you can insert a photo into, coaster set, trivet, oven mitts, tea towel, note cards, fridge magnet.

4 Likes

It’s surprisingly tricky to find a child-sized pattern for very boring, simple socks. I think I found one now, but man, that should’ve been easier!

2 Likes

I think children’s sizes are also on my go-to pattern for basic socks, but I’ve been looking for my pattern for a week…

2 Likes

How about cute pencil toppers, eyeglasses holder/necklace, or decorated picture frame?

4 Likes

I haven’t been much into crafting gifts lately, I sort of felt like bought gifts have been more appreciated. I’m not sure if that’s my own anxiety or if it’s fact. I recently said to my mom that I’m going back to primarily handmade gifts for 2023 and she was excited, and started discussing ideas for some relatives. I told her that I don’t have time to do any this year, nor do I want to because I’m just too burned out by life. I don’t want the stress of last minute homemade gifting. I’ll wait and begin those in the new year.

However, I do have some holiday crafting I’d like to accomplish for the 2022 season for my own household.

1. Salt dough ornaments : Salt Dough Ornament Tutorial primarily because we only have a handful of ornaments that have survived. Not nearly enough for my liking. Probably won’t stamp like in the tutorial, but that is because I don’t own stamps. We shall see. I’ll probably have my children help me make them so they will be more special. :slight_smile: Maybe I will add them to the agenda noted in #2 below.
  2. Gingerbread houses (or similar) from store-bought kits. My nephew asked me about eggnog and I told him I would make a day where we can make gingerbread houses and I’ll get eggnog for him to try; again. My own children and my nephew have all had eggnog in their lifetimes — but apparently it hasn’t had a lasting impression and they don’t remember. So, “Eggnog & Gingerbread House Building Day” must happen. I insist. (I’m not even a fan of eggnog. lol)
  3. Maybe knit or crochet ornaments. Simple knit or crochet balls (baubles?)… ornament balls. :crazy_face: This is mostly for the ornament acquisition, as well as my wanting to practice knitting and crochet.

That’s pretty much all I intend to accomplish this year. Seems like a lot still: depending on how much I procrastinate… :melting_face:

6 Likes

I am going to try to make a few of these. I figure I can just stuff them inside with whatever scraps I have of polyester since I don’t want to go out and buy balls!

This is the link @magpie gave in another thread. Sounds like you are being realistic with what is important and our limit of time!

Awesome and easy baubles to crochet

5 Likes

I frogged my hat in the decrease rounds because I was definitely going to lose a game of yarn chicken with a specialty yarn I can’t get more of. Tried restarting twice with different patterns, but don’t think the sizing was going to work out. Now restarting again with new yarn and a new pattern. I am definitely going to run out of this yarn as well, but at least I can order more.

5 Likes

I know you’ve switched but maybe post in the use it or lose it thread, someone might have some of the original yarn in their stash.

4 Likes

It’s a handspun that a friend sent to me. I think it was in their stash for a while before being passed on. Tag says it’s no. 2 of 4…

5 Likes

Ahhh, yeah that might be a long shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes! Those are lovely and I could manage that! The video tutorial is perfect for me too! I learn better that way. I’m going to attempt them once I gather up supplies. Probably will just stuff them too. I may cover a ornament or so if we have any left. (Haven’t pulled out my holiday stuff yet. I know that last year that we had a rather bare tree by end of the season; hence the ornaments being on the crafty-to-do list).

7 Likes

I feel your pain…I just turned the heel on a sock as then realized that it was one ugly sock…there was a reason I stopped after I made the first one, which still sits a drawer after three years…I am going to frog them both and find a more suitable project…in the meantime, I will be going through stash to find sock yarn to get a pair done by Christmas!

I have to close my eyes when I frog…I just can’t think of the time I spent…oh, well, at least I got to watch all episodes of Eleventh Hour with Patrick Stewart… :heart:

7 Likes

I know that feeling oh so well. I tend to store it for months (or years depending on how much time, love and energy I put in) before I finally frog it. Craft grief process.

6 Likes

The great thing about crafting for yourself is that there’s no deadline! So if you don’t finish them this year you’ll just finish them next year. I think all of those projects are great projects that only take up a little bit of time, so you can finish as many of them as you feel like you’re able to. Crafting for others is a ton of work so I wouldn’t do that unless you know people are going to be excited about it. It’s also totally acceptable to craft for one family member (such as your mother) who is excited about it, but not for others.

5 Likes

Finally getting to sock 3 of 6. :socks:

10 Likes

December 1st! Now to embrace my yearly tradition of deciding last minute I want to make All The Things in the next 3 weeks!

12 Likes

Yep! :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh my goodness is this ever true! Just when I think I have my list settled, I find something else that has to be added. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I still haven’t finished the Christmas Countdown calendar… hmm maybe I’ll have it evolve to a “12 days of Christmas” calendar and buy me some time lol!

3 Likes