Salt Dough Ornament Tutorial

Moving some of my older projects over… :wink: baby.sweets4ever just turned 14! :flushed:

I made these as part of my yearly holiday gift batch for coworkers. I made a few extra for family & friends, too.

Supplies
1 c flour
1/2 c salt
1/2 c warm water
Optional for decorating – stamps, ink, paint, brushes, yarn, twine, ribbon
Optional – craft sealer

Steps:

Select cookie cutters for your project.

Mix flour, salt and water to create the dough.

Mix mix mix. Add more water, if your dough is too dry.

Do not taste the “cookies” at this point. They are “icky.”

Lightly dust the counter with flour. Or just pour a metric ton of flour on the counter. Choose the method that works best for you.

Roll your dough 1/4" thick. Concentrate.

(not pictured) Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.

If you want your ornaments decorated with ink, now is the time to do it. Baking will set your inking. Select your stamps, ink, etc. I used trees, snowflakes, sheet music and two or three colors of ink.

Stamp your dough. Cookie cutter your shapes from your sheet of dough and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Using a drinking straw, poke a hole in each ornament.

(not pictured) Bake for 4 hours, flipping once or twice to maintain flatness.

Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Admire your new pretty shapes.

If you’re feeling feisty, stamp or sign the back of your ornaments and ink the edges a bit to give them a more finished look. Seal them with clear or pearl craft sealer.

String them for hanging and give them to friends. I used them to hang on gift baskets for Christmas, but love that they can be displayed year-round, too.

20 Likes

:open_mouth:
Excuse me while I go fade to dust…

2 Likes

Same. :sob: He’s officially taller than me. That was the final straw. :laughing:

8 Likes

Kids grow WAY too fast. My youngest is about to be 16 and is 6 foot 2 inches!!

However, your ornaments are extremely cool- never thought to stamp them before!

2 Likes

How fortuitous that I just unpacked a whole thing of salt from my move three years ago…I am sure it hasn’t gone “bad” but I don’t want to use it as food…thanks for the tips…I think this would make a great weekend project! Your ornaments are great but the tutorial is priceless!!!

I had to scroll by the pictures because I just can’t even…

No way! I remember when he was born … Where did that time go?

2 Likes

Love this tutorial. I remember making salt dough when I was a kid and then again with my kids. Hmmm, visiting the grandkids for t-day. We may need a project.

Such charming little ornaments!

Ooo! Thanks for bringing this over! So timely and useful! I remember making handprint ornaments with salt dough when my son was small (13 now, I feel you).

Those pics. :heart_eyes:

I remember these from the old site. They are beautifully done. Thanks for the tutorial!

1 Like

I used to looooove making these! Thanks for bringing back a core memory

Oooh these inspire me! They are so uncomplicated but really pretty! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I forgot about salt dough ornaments. :astonished: :exploding_head: I’ve made some in the very long-ago past but I never stamped them. I painted them after they came out of the oven. I might need to make some this year for our family tree (and maybe for some holiday gifts). Yours turned out beautifully!

2 Likes