Christmas Craftalong

I definitely am not into those types of cultish things…I have heard horror stories of kids having severe behavior if they can’t collect certain outfits or get the latest thing, etc. I think it sets up for future cultish behavior. I like seeing all the varieties of dolls she has…can’t wait to see what you make for her dolls!

1 Like

I know your doll clothes will be darling, @AntBee !

There is a lady who has a booth at my local farmer’s market that only sells American Girl doll clothing. She makes good money. It’s…creepy to be honest.

However, and this is my opinion only, it’s not as creepy as the Reborn dolls. The people into those dolls are way over the top for me. NOPE.

3 Likes

Totally agree…

Former subscriber to the American Girl magazine here! I even had a sweatshirt and hat. There’s a pic of me in my getup somewhere (mom’s scapbook let me down this time).

The American Girl sore in NYC (where you can reserve salon and teatime dates with your doll) is still going strong. We have thought about taking the girls there for their birthday this year. They have my old Samantha doll but don’t have their own…yet.

I also had a room full of porcelain dolls growing up. :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

They came into being after my time (i’m Original Cabbage Patch Craze years old) or I would have been ALLLLL OVER a “Doll and me” restaurant. All over it.

I did have a small-ish porceldoll collection as well.

3 Likes

I had never heard of reborn dolls. I just looked them up… :flushed: wow.

1 Like

I was also of the original Cabbage Patch doll generation. The American Girls came out as I was in about 6th grade, aging out of dolls.

The American Girls stores and their cafes did survive the pandemic, at least the one in Franklin, TN did. It was a huge thing in the mall there. If you go to the store website it gives you information on local hotels so you can ‘plan a visit with your American girl’. Seriously, people plan trips to go to the store, eat at the cafe, and get the dolls hair done.

If you want a laugh, watch the Bob’s Burgers episode where Linda goes to lunch at the cafe with Tina, Louise, and her friend Gretchen, who is working as a hair stylist at the “Special Girl” doll store. Season 7, ep 18.

2 Likes

I will definitely check that out, I love BB.

Today is officially July so… Christmas in July crafting can BEGIN!
(25 weeks until Christmas Eve!)

5 Likes

Yay, Christmas crafting season is officially opened!! I have a to-finish pile that mostly consists of cards and ornaments, my plan is to get these done this month, before starting on new, big projects. I have had to pack my room 6 months ago and am now slowly unpacking, which means I’ve found back many nearly-finished projects. It would be great to have them all done.

3 Likes

Ooh. A New Year with no lingering WiPs would be cool! I’m envisioning a basket with each project bagged up separately so you can pull them one at a time to work on them.

4 Likes

I have projects bagged up with most of the supplies and things I need…and they are still WIPS…ha ha

With a new baby girl due in December, I am going to focus on projects for her and my niece. I already have a quilt planned and some baby hats. Also, a traveling changing mat…I bought the pattern months ago and just never started it.

Six months will go quickly!

5 Likes

You were who I was thinking of when I wrote that! I was thinking of using your method to give me a “new project/yarn” fix while we are in No Buy July/craft Embargo time. But then the yarn cabinet won’t look as pretty so…. We’ll see.

Other than the spouse and Kid i’m not sure what other gifting needs I will have, gotta spend some coffee time thinking that through today

3 Likes

I have done a much better job of pairing yarns with a project…that has helped me not buying random yarns…I spent some time searching for patterns to fit my yarn and am going to try it the other way: see something I want to make and THEN get the yarn! Wish me luck!

7 Likes

That’s A level craft buying- good luck!

3 Likes

I keep my WIPs bagged up and that works, but where I get stuck is when I’m almost done and put the supplies back. My finished pieces of stitching, especially the small, quick projects, too often end up as UFOs. I’ve decided to at least collect all Christmas themed ones I find in a shoebox for ornaments and cards.

5 Likes

I am furiously trying to finish a couple WIPs (shawlette and a cardigan, both half done) before I dive into Christmas knitting. How is it July already?!

4 Likes

I am doing the same thing! I did a small pile of mending as well so I can start any new project with a fresh start!

I ordered some wool felt to do one of my Christmas projects so I have some time to clear out the old before it arrives…yikes…July already and the last half of the year seems to just speed up!

3 Likes

I’m still not even sure what would be good gifts for my peeps. I know stuff I cannnn make, but having a hard time assigning ideas to my humans.

I do want to finally do the countdown calendar I’ve been foolishly neglecting for lack of decision making. And my own pIr of socks to match the family ones made last season. I’m thwarted a bit by all the birthdays falling at the second half of the year, too, so like all my ideas get used up!

3 Likes

I’m keeping it simple for mine. Amazon can deliver the fun stuff, mom can make the little luxuries.

The boys both get simple wool sweaters and hats. DH gets socks and a hat, and FIL gets socks. I’m not planning any more handmade gifts than that, because that’s plenty.

3 Likes

I mostly have to get the baby stuff done for my niece…

My brother wanted some stockings for his cats, but he has 12 of them! I think I am going to do one big stocking and just call it Bob’s Cats…I can fill it with treats and toys for them all to share.

My sister wants some placemats since she is spending the holidays in Florida and has none at that house.

I am going to make a bunch of felt ornaments for everyone in our family, including my 19 great nieces and nephews!

The whole family gets a donation to their favorite charity in their name as part of our plan to give back and be grateful for all we have. I would like to make some cards for that.

5 Likes