Christmas Craftalong

Oh you didnt have to change it lol I was just excited to have suggested something that was nicer than punishment socks :joy:

3 Likes

“…punishment socks.” :joy:

2 Likes

That garland is going to be beautiful @AIMR!

I think the angel is not particularly my style either @Bajita, but it’s very nicely made and looks like an ingenious design (folded circle?) Good suggestion to think about hair. Or what about trying a cat face for a little cat angel (or other animal that suits a round face)?

2 Likes

It is indeed a folded circle. It’s a very simple pattern and quick to assemble, but I agree that it needs hair.

2 Likes

What about adding a felt “hair shaped” bit before adding the halo?
Kind of like how those peg dolls look when people paint little hair dos on them?

4 Likes

I think the lack of hair and the headband are bothering me. Is the headband supposed to be a halo? In that case maybe changing the shape of that might make a difference as well. Or maybe it will look different when there’s hair.

I do think a lot of people would like to receive an angel like that, I can tell you for certain that at least two women in my family would absolutely love it. So they would make a great Christmas gift for lots of people, that can probably easily be customized as well.

4 Likes

Now that is a really good idea and easy! Thank you!

1 Like

Yes…I think since the halo is straight across, it does look like a headband…if it wear curved a bit to look more like a halo…what do you think @Bajita ?

You could also do simple yarn hair…

4 Likes

:notes: On the (cold, rainy, windy) last day of Christmas (in July), I managed to complete:

1 set of stitched Christmas cards!

But no Pukeko in a Ponga tree here :frowning:

I also found back another finished card that I guess I made last year, but didn’t send - I got food poinsoning in November and shingles straight after that, so I basically skipped the festive season.

I’ve also found back 5 stitched thingies that could become ornaments, plus the 3 I stitched this spring, plus three more future cards that are ready to glue, but I don’t have cards or cardstock for right now. All of my papercraft supplies are still in storage, the cards I glued today came from a kit. I wouldn’t have picked these cards normally, if I had my stash, but they’re fine, they came with the kit so it’s not like they don’t match at all. I’m going to put them in my Happy Mail box so I won’t forget them this time!

So, goals for August anyone?

• Finishing some of the Christmas themed WIPs and UFO’s I’ve come across (I don’t know where they come from but every time I open a box some more nearly-done UFO’s fall out)
  • Make a few hanging towels for gifts (siblings, parents, one for our new house, maybe a few for sewing friends) - note to self: need to order batting for that
  • Start working on Mr. Imma’s wallhanging - also need to order batting for that one

More ideas (for later on in the season)

• Inspired by @AntBee I’m thinking of matching Christmas socks for us two! Mr Imma isn’t a fan of handknit socks to wear in shoes, but I could make us socks to wear with our Christmas themed flannel PJ pants (that I made years ago). We usually take time off together on the days between Christmas and the New Year that we spend mostly at home, eating delicious food and admiring our tree.
  • Inspired by @Bajita 's angel, I’m thinking of making a few angel ornaments, maybe crochet? I have some relatives who would really love those.
5 Likes

I’m about to get part of my Life back. :wink: My DD starts her Senior year of high school tomorrow and our local farmer’s market ends the first weekend of September, so there’s light at the end of the tunnel…not an oncoming freight train. :grin:

I managed to make a couple of gift decisions! Thankfully, my crafty holiday list is short.

DD will get a make up bag. She has a couple, but swears she needs more so I will add to her collection. Maybe a small jewelry bag as well, but I’ve never made one of these…

For DS …Since I’ve learned to embroider baseball caps, I think I’ll make him something Star Wars or Mandalorian inspired.

For Sr. Bajita…I’m still stumped. He buys whatever he wants nowadays, so I’m going to have to think way out of the box. sigh

For Mom and my Aunt (they live together), I think I’ll make some crocheted washcloths. They are both utilitarian like me.

5 Likes

hah! :smile_cat:

I think my first goal is to actually sit down and make a plan for Christmas crafting goals!

5 Likes

Yes me too, I have been focusing on a few large crafts for the first half of the year with little ‘progress’ (eg finishes) so I think I need to get into some quick and satisfying

4 Likes

My Mom is making some of these. I will have to show her them with hair. :innocent:

3 Likes

I did a clever thing, if I do say so myself.

I always keep a few stitch kits at hand for trips and hospital visits. Usually when one is completed, I take the leftover thread out and add it to my stash. I came across a few used kits in my stash that I hadn’t raided for stash yet. They had so much thread left over that instead, I decided to get some fabric from my stash and now I have new kits again! Not sure if they’ll be finished for Christmas '23 though.

I ordered some yarn for Christmas socks and it’s been held up in customs for about 10 days now. Grrrr :angry:

11 Likes

What a clever idea! When I finished my bunny stitching, there was enough thread to do another! I will see if I can find some clear pocket things!

2 Likes

Very often these kits come with so much extra floss! I guess that’s the cheapest part of the kit. I would not be surprised if I still have leftovers after stitching these again.

1 Like

I finished my fancy schmancy felt garland! I might just leave it hanging where it is…lol…no, I’ll save it for Christmas.

I’ll do a separate post for it with more pictures and details…but YAY! One thing off my list!

18 Likes

Ooh, I love what you did! How creative! I made crochet chain with velcro like 10 years ago for my son’s teacher when he was in kindergarten for 100s day. I don’t think she ever used it, but this in a way reminds me of that.

Very festive!

2 Likes

You did it! Hooray!!

Edit to ask: does it matter what kind of felt you use? Ever since I saw that original blog post I day dreamed of making an 18 or 21 ring blank and each year do a symbol for something important or meaningful in Kidlet’s life then when she’s grown she could have it as a keep sake if she wanted. I am already working on an ornament collection in the same idea so maybe that’s overkill. Not sure.

1 Like

That’s beautiful! love all the different embroidery stitches, that’s a treasure for many Christmases to come!

2 Likes