Christmas Craftalong

If the room is green then the Blue would pop. Depends on your goal for how eye-catching you want it to be.

3 Likes

I also think blue would look really nice and bring out the little bits of it in the cross stitch.

2 Likes

I had hoped to find rust-o-leum chalk paint in the right colours, the kind that according to the can doesn’t require sanding, but the local hardware store only sold the boring colours. So I guess I’m going to have to sand anyway, and I have a bright blue acrylic marker in stash I could use. I guess it would indeed make the blue pop! I believe in maximalist Christmas decor so I suppose I should just go with fun blue instead of sensible green. I’ll probably put in on a shelf in the bookcase, not directly on the green wall.

I think I have one more Christmas finish somewhere, that I should get around to framing. Framing is my least favourite part, but it’s a waste to stitch something nice then put it in a box. If I could afford it I would have them framed professionally, I would, but it’s so expensive.

1 Like

I’m in progress on that exact cross stitch! It’s great to see it finished. Did you do something special to frame it? Do you have to attach it to a sticky panel?

1 Like

@tendstowardschaos - those sweaters are so impressive!

@Immaculata - love that stitch. Painting the frame will be the perfect way to highlight the stitching.

Today was ornaments…which were more frustrating than they should have been but I got them (mostly) done:

Cookies! (We will frost & decorate tomorrow):

And 2 more bowl cozies (no pic). Phew!

10 Likes

Thank you!

You had a productive day! Baking Christmas cookies is such a wonderful thing to do with the littles.

1 Like

I’m not a pro, I just tape the fabric around a piece of cardstock and put that in the frame.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this attempt at a vegetarian quiche looks appealing… but after lunch we’ll know what it tastes like. If it’s nice, I’ve got a couple of days to think about presentation.

6 Likes

How was it??

Cookies are done!

Also got two more bowl cozies done. I have 4 to go which I think is doable at my current pace. :crossed_fingers:

11 Likes

5 sets of fingerless gloves for the teachers and children’s librarians in our life.

12 Likes

Inspiring!! (For next year of course.)

2 Likes

These beer mitts were supposed to be for a gift exchange game, but we had to miss the party due to illness. But, DH needed a last-minute gift for his boss (who is practically extended family), so I told him to take them. I also had a couple wool hats in my ready-to-gift bin that he’ll give to his assistant and his boss.

8 Likes

That is a fun pattern. Well done with the gift stash to the rescue! (Sorry you missed the party though, that’s not fun.)

2 Likes

It’s alright. Honestly, the number of parties this time of year is more than a little overwhelming. It was literally every weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2 Likes

I made these like 10 minutes before the girls’ class party for their teachers.

@tendstowardschaos - beer mitts are so fun!

8 Likes

Looks tasty!

Better than my quiche lol. It was edible but not nice. We had been DIYing and we ate all of it only because we were very hungry and too tired to cook something else. So now I need to figure out a new vegetarian main course. I asked my vegetarian sibling for inspiration!

I’m impressed by all your gifts, @Abbeeroad , @AntBee @tendstowardschaos . Your mitts look so professional, when I knit them the thumbs always look a bit wonky.

2 Likes

Happy lastminute crafting day everyone!!

I still need to quilt and bind a wallhanging and we’re doing gifts tonight! Wish me luck :crossed_fingers: It shouldn’t take more than an hour, and it’s lunchtime here, so it should be do-able as long as my sewing machine doesn’t suddently jam up or something. But we all know that sewing machines don’t cope very well with pressure …

3 Likes

I have all the wrapping done, the house is decorated, and the food I’m able to prep is done. But I tried working on my last “have to make in time” gift, and it didn’t go well.

My niece is going to Spain for a semester abroad in January. I want to make her a secret pocket scrunchie to hide some emergency cash in, in case she’s pickpocketed. I know you can buy them, but the commercially available ones have a very obvious zipper, that’s a dead giveaway. Not very useful if pickpockets can spot them. So I found a couple tutorials for making one without a zipper, and tested it out yesterday. It uses two overlapping pieces of fabric, with an elastic casing in each, to keep things from falling out. Mine went together fine, but I was using scraps of sari silk and the extra elastic felt a bit lumpy in the thin fabric. And I only had enough elastic for one try. So I ran out to Joann’s for more last night. I found a couple options , including a skinner one for the pocket casing to cut down on the bulk. I also picked up a few slivers of jersey to try it with, and if all else fails, 2 invisible zippers that I think I might be able to hide a little better with a piece of fabric across the zip at the top, for the pull to hide in…

I was hoping to also make Jim a quilted cozy for his French press and an apron for Ada that would match the one I made myself a few weeks ago. But if all else fails, they each have birthdays in March.

4 Likes

Hope you manage to finish the scrunchie in time! Sounds like a clever idea.

I didn’t just finish my wallhanging, I actually finished a potholder as well! I used a square of fabric to try out some quilting ideas, and decided to finish it off right away instead of piling it up and finishing it in 10 years. So 2 finishes, that’s not too bad!

Now, off to bake some things for tomorrow, then enjoy Christmas Eve with Mr. Imma! We’re eating a relatively simple dinner tonight - chicken vol-au-vents from meat picked off a carcass, steak, fries and broccoli, and then ice cream for dessert. Maybe we’ll light a candle if we’re feeling fancy.

I’m planning to bake Oma’s Dutch ginger butter cake (which takes only about 10 minutes, plus oven time!) and English mince pies, which take a bit more time but aren’t exactly difficult either.

2 Likes

I am baking cookies today! My plans to make them earlier were quashed by my husband, who did not want to be tempted before he had his required physical and tests for his upcoming knee replacement surgery!

We have our Christmas dinner all set as well as New Year’s King Crab legs!

I didn’t send out many cards this year due to too many other non-Christmas commitments, so I think I am going to send out some New Year ones.

My family got all of their money and cards from us, so that is good! I got my husband “The History of Chocolate” to put under the tree since he already started using the Road Atlas I got him…

Is it too early to start on next year? ha ha I bought a bunch of Christmas cross stitch patterns at an end of year clearance…I think I will start them when they arrive next week! ha

6 Likes