Oma's Dutch ginger butter cake

This is an old family recipe. I haven’t had this anywhere else so I’m not sure if my grandma invented this. It’s extremely easy to make. It’s traditional Dutch boterkoek with a twist. It looks like “butter cake” is a common translation for boterkoek but it’s not completely right. In Dutch, cookie = koekje and koek is basically a large cookie, the size of a cake. You make a dough, not a batter, and it won’t rise.

Oma’s gemberkoek

Ingredients:
350 gr flour
250 gr butter, room temperature
200 gr sugar
Little bit of vanilla essence
125 gr shredded stem ginger in syrup (for Dutchies: half a jar of AH Bakgember)
A few more pieces of stem ginger to decorate

Put all ingredients except the pieces of stem ginger in a bowl. Knead into a ball. Transfer the ball to a buttered pie/quiche/brownie pan or spring form, I use an 11" quiche pan. Flatten with your hands into a round shape. Bake 20 minutes at 180C.

Leave to cool before taking it out of the pan, like a cookie it’s soft at first. It’s very rich so you’re supposed to eat small slices. The cake can be stored in an airtight container for quite a long time (I’ve never seen one that had gone bad).

9 Likes

Mmm, I love ginger!

1 Like

At first I thought it was a turnover with apples, but now I see that those are candied ginger! mmmm I bet it smells great as well…

1 Like

This sounds delicious! I love ginger and had not heard of stem ginger, so I looked it up… I’m in trouble.

2 Likes

Stem ginger is one of my favourite baking ingredients! You can buy it in large pieces or pre-shredded in here. My grandma used to drink any leftover syrup in her tea.

3 Likes

It sounds like shortbread with ginger! What a delightful combination!

1 Like

It’s not completely like shortbread but definitely quite similar. I love anything ginger.

1 Like

My husband would love this.

1 Like