Cleaning bits off cricut mat

Any tips for how I can remove these pieces of Mylar from my mat? I think the mat was too sticky and I’m finding I have to bend and scrape off each tiny piece which is hurting my hands and destroying the mat from scratching it with the spatula.

1 Like

Have you tried using warm water and Dawn?

The warmth should soften the vinyl and make it easier to rub off…

Rubbing alcohol is also a good cleaner, but I am not sure if it will remove the vinyl. Can you test on a small area?

1 Like

Oof! That’s a lot o’ pickin’! Have you tried the scraper tool? I use that tool almost exclusively for removing tricky things from mats. Sometimes with putting the mat face down on a non-linty surface and rolling it up - wedging scraper in and pressing towards the table surface. Still fiddly, but doesn’t seem to scrape the mat.

2 Likes

Honestly? I’d pitch it. Life’s too short, and Cricut mats are cheap enough (in the USA). Target has them 2 for $6.49. Lesson learned to use an older (less sticky) mat for that kind of paper.

4 Likes

Tbh that’s what I ended up doing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

sounds like you already tossed it, but I would have tried sticking duct tape to it, smoothing it for a really good stick, then pulling off.

Duct tape is a good idea. I tried packing tape but it wasn’t sticky enough so it didn’t have any effect.

2 Likes