Cloned Jeans

I can’t be the only one who has problems finding the ‘perfect’ jeans, right? And, what are they treating the fabrics with these days?

Even when I manage to find a pair that fits well, the fabric is awful. It occurred to me that I could just take cheap-but-well-fitting-and-horrid-fabric jeans and rip them apart to make a pattern. So, I did. Not that I managed to get them to fit - they’re slightly too snug to be comfortable. But, I’m tweaking the pattern since they were this close to being great.

19 Likes

WHOA. This is ridiculously cool! I hope the tweaks work out and the next pair are just right. The pocket detail is rad!

2 Likes

Thank you! I found that idea for the pockets on pinterest.

1 Like

I love this idea and beautiful execution!

2 Likes

OMGosh you made JEANS! :exploding_head:

I made some, ONCE as a class assignment in high school (I was in an advanced Home Ec class and made most of my own clothes as class assignments). Anyway, it was a HORRIBLE experience that I have never felt the need to repeat. But yours look GREAT! I’m super impressed! Everything you do looks beautiful, but I know from experience what a pain jeans are to make. I’m in awe.

3 Likes

Jeans are a very challenging item but these look great! Many fairly good pairs of jeans are ruined by sloppy topstitching, but yours looks great. Especially that detail on the back pockets!

1 Like

Thank you!

Jeans really are a pain. I swear, they are the hardest garment to get a good fit on. I had just finished the plaid jacket, so I was feeling invincible behind the sewing machine…then they were just slightly too fitted, lol. Oh, well, there’s always next time. I spent yesterday afternoon making adjustments to the pattern and I’ll be making a muslin before cutting into denim this time around. If I’d have just had an extra inch or two here and there it would have worked out.

1 Like

That is amazing. Once you get that pattern down you can have all the perfect pants you want! Way to go!!!

1 Like

:sun_with_face: :rainbow: Woo hoo! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :rainbow: :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Thanks! :heart:

1 Like

So smart! Jeans are such a pain the older I get. lol. Especially with the new trends. Right now they are so loose and long they look like JNKO skater jeans. :weary: I’m not pulling that one off.

What kind of sewing machine do you have? I imagine you’d need one that can sew through a couple layers of denim.

2 Likes

I remember when stovepipe jeans were all the rage. I couldn’t pull them off back then, either… I’m way too short.

I have a Brother 6000csi. It does alright, but this wasn’t super heavy denim. I think, at most, I was stitching through 5-6 layers where seams met. I’ve done much heavier projects on this machine, though (search for the Minions travel bag I posted - I was sewing through 10+ layers of fabric, webbing, interfacing).

I can’t imagine making jeans with a regular sewing machine, yours must be a BEAST. Oh, I see from above it’s a Brother-- I have a Brother! We’re Brother sisters! :raised_hands: Although, I will probably never make a pair of jeans on mine, lol.

2 Likes

I’d love to have a more beastly machine in my flock, TBH. But, this one is nice for most projects.

2 Likes