CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Midsummer 2020

You certainly can. I would just recommend using a thicker crochet thread of you’ve never used crochet thread before. I used Aunt Lydia’s size 10, so maybe try size 3 thread.

1 Like

Yay! How exciting. I’ll be there!

When I told my kid I might need to use his Discord account, he got all offended and convinced me to just make my own when/if the time comes. :laughing:

2 Likes

Lol… Yeah better make your own.
Does lettuce craft have a discord server?

I don’t even know what discord is :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

You could totally make this doily. It’s just chains, single crochet, and double crochet. As CraftUntold said, if you’ve never worked with such thin thread, you might want to test drive the pattern in a thicker yarn. The thin stuff can be a bit fiddly the first time you try it out. I also used Aunt Lydia’s #10, and a 3.25mm hook. It resulted in a doily about 10-11" across. (25-28cm?)

@Abbeeroad, I was wary of joining discord too. I didn’t want yet another app/thing taking up my day, but it actually hasn’t been that at all. I just see messages from Jim’s mom & sisters pop up occasionally through the day, since that’s what we mainly set it up for; family communication outside of FB. I did join a second server, focused on the game Harry Potter Wizards Unite that I play while I walk each day. That server is crazy busy, and I don’t bother to read all the messages/channels set up there. I just check the announcements section, to see if there’s new info on the game. If I do set up one for the HPC, it will likely be very quiet, and probably just used for our virtual meetups, and maybe occasional off topic chit-chat if people feel like it.

@PrincessP, to paraphrase Wikipedia, Discord is a messaging platform, used mostly by gamers, but also for education and businesses. They use the terms ‘servers’ and ‘channels’ to describe what Facebook or other platforms might call a Group or a Thread. I would set up a ‘server’ for the HPC. That would be our closed group. People can’t just wander in; they must be invited. Within that server there can be multiple ‘channels’, or topic threads. For example, maybe we’d have one to talk about our upcoming virtual meetup. Maybe you, Abbee & I would have a separate channel for Gryffindor Chat. Maybe there could be one for nothing but memes about Snape. Whatever topics the group is interested in.

2 Likes

I am here for the snape memes. :raised_hands::snake:

Discord: Brittany | CraftsUntold#3088

Also I can help with discord if needed. I have made servers for myself and a knitting podcast person previously.

1 Like

Ok, here’s a link to the HP Craftalong Discord Server: https://discord.gg/NmKyKE
(link expires in 24 hours)

1 Like

What app do I need to download to be able to join the virtual meetup? Is it google chat. Or is it hangouts? I’m just trying to prepare.

Google Hangouts. It used to be Chat, but was rebranded at some point to Hangouts. If you have a gmail account, you can find it on the right hand side bar of your Inbox and use it right from the web. You can also download the app, if you wish to use your phone for the Meetup.

Hey Friends! Just as a reminder, if you think you might join the Virtual Meetup, you need to send me your gmail address so I can add you to the chat ahead of time. So far, the only person I’ve heard from is Abbeeroad. On the day, if you don’t have time and can’t join, it’s no problem. You just don’t click ‘Join Call’ when it pops up.

1 Like

Looking forward!

I cant make it and i’m :disappointed:
i have an appropriately socially distant family gathering starting at the same time in my mom’s backyard.

Hopefully next time!

:slightly_frowning_face:

Yes - Next time! :smile:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Clementine Cake
Brief Description: I picked up a bag of clementines about 2 weeks ago, and they weren’t great for eating out of hand. A little soft, and lots of seeds. Since I didn’t want them to go to waste, I made a cake with them! To be honest, I went with this recipe because the citrus & olive oil bundt cake I usually use calls for yogurt, and I was out. Since I had everything called for in this recipe, that’s what I went with. It certainly tastes fine, but it is a bit drier than my other favorite recipe, and it stuck to the pan a bit. As my husband said though “It’ll eat.” Random fun fact: while it’s hard to see in the picture, the icing was bright peachy orange from the tangerine juice.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Quidditch-Sweetwater All-stars #4
Project Name & Page Link: Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork
Brief Description: This recipe uses liquid in its creation to make a delicious dinner.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Transfiguration
Project Name & Page Link: Repairing Pearl Jewelry
Brief Description: My cousin sent me her favorite necklace and earrings which were in need of repair. I forgot to get a before pic, but the necklace crimp ends had broken, so they couldn’t hold a clasp or clasp ring. And the earrings had lost one earwire, and the other was squished. So I removed the old crimp ends, reglued the strands of monofilament, added new crimps and a new clasp. Then took apart the earrings, and replaced the frewshwater pearls onto sterling headpins, added bead caps to replace the old faux yellow gold beads that topped them, and added sterling earwires.
Project Picture:

1 Like

Advanced Studies Friday Update!
I’ve made more progress on my Hygee Throw. I’m somewhere around row 62, in a sea of endless lilac purple.

3 Likes

Come hell or high water I am breaking out my AS project today. No, really, guys I mean it this time!

1 Like

Next time for me. I have to finish painting my hallway this Saturday. :neutral_face:

I was determined to join the meetup but was suddenly invited to a dinner party and I won’t be able to make it home in time, I hope it won’t be too long until the next meetup.

I think I can make it to the hangout Saturday. @MistressJennie do you still have my email address or should I send it to you?

1 Like

Looking forward to the virtual meet up. I hope that I’ve got the technology done right so that I don’t miss anything.