CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

Class/Challenge: Otter’s Fizzy Orange Drink
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Mr Angry Cat
Description: Saw this cat on reddit last week and I knew I had to make him! Everyone need an angry cat in their life, and since Im allergic to real cats, I will have a knitted one. Im so pleased with how he turned out. (Pattern can be found on Ravelry if searching for “my angry cat lubby”.) Im planning on making a smaller version too!

6 Likes

OMG, I love your Angry Cat! My husband loves cats, while I’m allergic, and kinda think they’re buttholes. I feel so guilty every time we see a kitty and he spends time talking to it, and petting it, and then we can’t have one because of me. If I manage to learn to knit, I would totally make him one. He’d adore it.

3 Likes

I agree with you, I to think they’re buttholes. But even so, I would love to have one, because they are kinda cute. :slight_smile:

He isn’t that difficult to make, mostly just knit and purl, and for the other stitches, I used youtube to learn. So Im sure you can manage him if you do try. :slight_smile:

Ummm… I’ve been trying to learn. I started the 14-day learn to knit class that @Abbeeroad just did. She successfully completed that. I’m stuck on purling. I managed to do a swatch of knit stitch fine, and a swatch of purl stitch well enough, but as soon as I tried to alternate them in ANY way, things went south. :frowning_face:

That totally happened to me when I learned as well. It was so maddening I could NOT fathom why people were assigned knitting as a therapy for anger management and stress!

It gets better, but it is ridiculous and boggles the mind how knitting ever became a thing when you first start out. Two pointy sticks?? Really? at least crochet has a hook end!

love this cat! Might have to add this to the to do list! Nicely done!

1 Like

Does the class teach you English (working yarn in the right hand) or Continental (working yarn in the left hand)? You may have more success with Continental knitting since you already are a skilled crocheter.

It teaches both at the same time. Encouraging you to try each method, and figure out which feels better.

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Boxing Telescope
House:
Project Name & Page Link: Dragonfly Mosaic Art Quilt
Brief Description: This happy little art quilt gets several punches of color from the bright batiks and grunge fabrics used.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

Wow! That is gorgeous.

1 Like

Love everything about this, just gorgeous :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes! Great knitted cat @skrutt!! I have a few bears pinned to try one day…

And speaking of learning to knit, I completed my first hat! Woohoo!

Class Title: Alchemy
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Knitted Slouchy Hat
Brief Description: I found an awesome video tutorial from Sheep & Stitch for this slouchy hat. I even used the same GRAY yarn she did.
Project Picture:

7 Likes

It came out fabulous, @Abbeeroad! Well done!

2 Likes

You have graduated from beginner to holy cow in knitting! It is fantastic and your stitches are “holy cow”!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 12
Project Name & Page Link: Bison Shepherd’s Pie with Parsnip Mashed Potatoes
Brief Description: This project has a few unexpected materials! I made my Shepherd’s Pie by swapping out the ground beef for leaner bison, the milk in the mashed potatoes for cashew milk, and half of the usual russet potatoes for parsnips.
Project Picture:

2 Likes

@Abbeeroad - the hat looks fantastic

@MistressJennie - I love swapping out potato for parsnip in mash, so tasty

2 Likes

Class: Herbology
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Itty Bitty Doll Dress
Description The somewhat muted colors of this print feels appropriate for the first flowers of spring that have to compete with blustery days and an overabundance of mud. It’s 6cm from shoulder to hem and will fit an 11cm doll.

2 Likes

Note: The picture for the first project is both projects in-progress, and the picture for the second project is both after they were completed.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - WIP
Project Name & Page Link: Butterfly Potholder
Brief Description: While going through my scrap fabric looking for more black fabric, I found a few unfinished bits and bobs. First was a butterfly potholder I had made as practice when learning to free motion quilt many years ago. The layers had all been quilted, but it was never trimmed down or bound. So today I cut some black binding and finished off a years-old project!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Patented Daydream
Project Name & Page Link: Tim Holtz Mug Rugs
Brief Description: In that same trip through the fabric bin, I found scraps from making the scrappy Tim Holtz fabric placemats I made a couple years ago. There were random off-cuts of the patchwork. So I added a black band like the original placemats have, then tested out my new walking foot and it’s line guide, quilting the together. Then today I trimmed them down and added the binding. Now they’re ready for our living room!
Project Picture:

3 Likes

Advanced studies update - Ravenclaw is finished :smiley:

Small break now to get a swap finished and out and then need to work through threads for the last two and see what I have and what I need to order!

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Peruvian Darkness
House: Slytherin ::snake:: ::yarn::
Project Name & Page Link: Chouette Hat and Cowl set (completed test knit)
Brief Description: I test knit this hat and cowl set for The Chesapeake Needle. Project details in the linked LC post, but here’s a direct link to the hat pattern on Ravelry.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress - Portable Swamp
House: Slytherin ::snake:: ::yarn::
Project Name & Page Link: Chouette Hat and Cowl set (completed test knit)
Brief Description: I test knit this hat and cowl set for The Chesapeake Needle. Project details in the linked LC post, but here’s a direct link to the cowl pattern on Ravelry.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Those are gorgeous!

2 Likes