CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Ostara 2021

My first official post of term! I’m been crafting up a storm lately so be ready for a big one. Additionally, you may notice I’m now a … Ravenclaw! :bird: :crown: :books: I hope I do my fellow Ravenclaws proud!

Class or Challenge Title: Apparition
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Stash Greeting cards!
Brief Description: I spent this afternoon cutting up scrapbook paper and made a little set of cards to send out my ATCs in! They’re cute inside and out. And I even made envelopes to go with them (not pictured)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Arithomancy
Project Name: Campfire Quilt Block
Brief Description: This is a paper pieced block. I haven’t done paper piecing in about 5+ years. One thing about making bigger blocks is that you made different sections and the. Sew them all together. This block contained 7 different sections (3 on top, 4 on bottom) and then sewn all together!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club - Rogue Bludger
Project Name: Quilted Tub!
Brief Description: I hand stitched the binding on this item which promptly made me go on Amazon and order a thimble. :face_with_head_bandage:
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: CoMC
Project Name: ATC Cards
Brief Description: A small selection of some of my first ATC’s ever! I’ve joined the ATC Ongoing swap and I know how excited I get when I have mail coming so I hope they will bring joy and happiness to those who receive them! (Blurred so any outstanding cards stay a surprise, although these were all sent last week.)
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Project Name: Heart Block Pillow
Brief Description: I did some quilting practice doing the Quiltalong’s February BOM and made this happy little pillow. Emphasis on the word little. My three year old has claimed it as his. And I kinda love that.
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Detention - Stash #1
Project Name: Leftover Mug Rug!
Brief Description: I had a left over rectangle of quilted fabric from my quilted tub and decided to practice my binding on it. First, I tried free motion quilting for the first time…uh…I think I may need to research the proper way to do it because it looks rough. I’m glad it’s for a scrap type project. Lol. But my binding is getting WAY better. My corners are all pretty and mitered and I even joined it together the fancy way!
Project Picture:

Class or Challenge Title: Potions
Project Name: Watercolor ATC’s
Brief Description: Soley from my stash (well…it’s not quite hard for a small little painting), I did two watercolor ATC’s for the ATC swap. (Blurred in case the recipients have not seen them yet. I’m talking to you Reinikka and Thanate!)
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Gorgeous work Whistlefish. I especially love the campfire block and the quilted tub.

1 Like

Haha…give me consistency in coffee any day! :wink:

I agree…the quilted tub is fantastic. Did you use a pattern? Is it stiffened with interfacing?

I think I’m going to try to add a binding to a mug rug I made yesterday to try to fix it…yours looks great! And your free motion quilting looks a heck of a lot better than mine!

1 Like

Here’s the pattern! I haven’t made an official “post” for it yet since this was my first practice one. https://www.etsy.com/listing/706488853/tub-family-pdf-pattern-fabric-baskets

It has this stuff inside it which was delightful to work with. I really love the feel of it. The whole little “tub” just feels so nice! There’s many more in my future I’m sure. https://www.amazon.com/R-Form-Unique-Stabilizer-18-White-492-18/dp/B00AVYDPTS

As for binding, there’s a tutorial video someone had posted in the Quiltalong thread that helped IMMENSELY. I think it’s from Missouri Quilt Co. I feel way more comfortable doing it now and I feel like my binding actually looks pretty darn good now!

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

Class: Arithmancy
House: Hufflepuff
Project: Quilting the Quilt
Description: I quilt using my walking foot, which means lots of straight lines. For my go-to quilt pattern I like to quilt between the rows/columns of the big blocks (the quarters made from the disappearing nine-patch being cut apart) and then diagonally through the squares. Only the diagonal lines are easy to see from the front, but if you look closely on the back you can see some fun intersection points.

Class: Astronomy
House: Hufflepuff
Project: Quilt Binding
Description: I absolutely love the process of hand binding a quilt. It’s a nice meditative way to top off what can sometimes be a less-than-relaxing project and a good excuse to “watch” a good movie or listen to an audiobook. The scrappy binding adds the perfect finishing touch to this very colorful quilt.

5 Likes

I’m loving all these quilt/fabric projects! I am starting to feel like I could be brave and try my hand at long held dreams of sewing things. In the meantime, I have a few yarny projects to post. And can you believe it- one of them is for Advanced Studies Friday?! What-the-whaaaaaat!? I know, I know, will wonders never cease… :upside_down_face:

Class or Challenge Title: Alchemy
House: Slytherin
Project Name & Page Link:
Brief Description: This is for the little heart which has a gray metal charm dangling from the bottom.
Project Picture: See below

Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
Brief Description: The pattern for these hearts speaks in 7’s- first you need to make two sections ending in 7 stitches each and the pattern has 21 steps- a number divisible by 7. This is for one heart. (I made 6 total… so far.) The one with the blue button.

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
Brief Description: This button boasting little heart was sent off to a friend for Valentine’s Day.

Class or Challenge Title: Detention: Advanced Studies
Project Name & Page Link: Fair Isle Hat
Brief Description: Finally had time and motivation to do some of the project for myself.
Project Picture: Start/End

Class or Challenge: Herbology
Brief Description: This is for the final wee heart. I had never worked in silk roving before so this was a new medium for me. For the most part it was enjoyable, however, I noticed some staining on my fingers (especially from the yellow segments) and the roving didn’t love being tugged when I used it to sew up the hearts. Overall, I like how they worked up.
Pic:

Class or Challenge Title: HoM
Brief Description: This baby blanket is made off a chart for a pattern in C2C but I used it as a standard back and forth rows style in order to speed it up (I haven’t learned C2C yet) and to use less yarn as I wanted to use what I already had on hand. The colors are chosen to match-ish the nursery bedding they requested on the baby registry. The prompt is met by the border I added to it- my first foray into moss stitch. I really like it, although it took a few tries and watching a video multiple times to get it right. (it kept turning up at the corners.)
Project Picture:

I’m actually working on another project (not a heart, I swear!) but it isn’t quite finished yet so that will wait for my next batch of projects. (See how optimistic I am, next batch?)
Happy crafting!

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
Project Name & Page Link: Twisty Crochet Cap
Brief Description: This is some weather-protection practice for my real goal of crocheting with more texture and learning to properly gauge and adjust my projects. Cats have predicted snow and insist on maximum comfiness at all times. pattern

2 Likes

Trying to keep myself to account on my advanced studies, so progress to date…

6 Likes

@MistressJennie … is it still ok to post a project for the Chapter 9 Bookclub? I can’t recall the cutoff dates…
Also, I really enjoy reading your recaps, however if it’s too time consuming for you I completely understand! x

@seeuudee that cross stitch is coming along so well!! And far out, those pretzels look amazing! I wonder if they could be made with GF flour?

@nettleseed cutest model ever! :heart_eyes: Also, your box-o-thread is a gorgeous photo x

@Whistlefish I think that might have been me that shared the Missouri Quilt Co binding tutorial…it’s so good, isn’t it? I use it for everything, even tiny mug rugs :wink:

@Moonflame I love your homework tracker…I just use the digital Hermione’s homework planner flat out :stuck_out_tongue: It would be nice to hold it though :wink:

3 Likes

There’s a lot of quilting going on here! @Whistlefish so many lovely projects! That tub is so beautiful!
@Trillian I love your scrappy binding!
@AntBee your hearts are so cute! I’m getting ready to try a fair isle project. I’m hoping to teach myself the 2 hand method (1 yarn in either hand.)
@nettleseed your kittly looks so cute in your lovely hat. :slight_smile:
@seeuudee Your Hufflepuff crest is looking amazing!

2 Likes

Nope. Chapter 9 is over, and we’re currently on Chapter 10. Each Book Club prompt is 2 weeks long, and if you’re not sure when it ends, check up in the prompts post. The dates will be next to the chapter number, as seen below.

You can technically post up until I’ve posted the new prompts. So even though it says February 21st, if you post your project before I update on the 22nd (usually around midday my time), then you’ve made it in under the wire and it counts.

1 Like

:heart: :cupcake: :cupid: :kiss: :love_letter: :rose: Valentine’s Craft Date at Madam Puddifoot’s :rose: :love_letter: :kiss: :cupid: :cupcake: :heart:

Date: TODAY!
Time 3:00-5:00pm, CST (4:00pm EST, 1:00pm PST, 9:00pm Ireland/UK, 10pm Norway, 8:00am Australia)
Zoom Details:

HP Craftalong Valentines Craft Date.
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83782532222?pwd=M3FqNGhVbzZ5UVUzNEgydnN2N3ptdz09
Meeting ID: 837 8253 2222 Passcode: 136414 One tap mobile +13462487799,83782532222#,*136414# US (Houston) +16699009128,83782532222#,*136414# US (San Jose) Dial by your location +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) Meeting ID: 837 8253 2222 Passcode: 136414
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kc9UhQnUcK

2 Likes

Woohoo!

Thank you to everyone who came to our craft date! We had a wonderful time, and will do another one in a month or so. We’re also thinking of doing a Harry Potter movie Crafternoon, where we all watch one of the movies and work on a project together. Stay tuned for details!

4 Likes

I am sooo jealous!

2 Likes

I had a great time! Always fun to hang out with other crafty people. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I’m going to see how much I can do in an evening on my OWL. I’m watching a hockey game (Go CBJ! :ice_hockey::goal_net:) and listening to HP Half Blood Prince audiobook. I’ll report back in two hours!

4 Likes

Class: Dentention - Advanced Studies
Project Name: Winter Sampler
Brief Description: I spent two hours on my current OWL. (2 hrs 12 mins to be exact) and boy was this assignment needed. I hate large areas of the same color and I’ve been dragging my feet on this project since I hit this dang frozen pond. But…it’s done!! I even started the row of snowflakes. Honestly, this whole OWL may just be done in a day or two now that I’ve passed the pond hurdle!
Project Picture:

6 Likes

That challenge gave me the push I needed for my AS also. I’ve been rolling with that momentum since. (And I totally set a stop watch timer, too. That 2 hour requirement was perfect to get me on the right track.

1 Like