CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2019/20

Glad to see this is up again!

Hello everyone!! Itā€™s good to be home.

Iron Chef edit The January secret ingredient for Iron Chef Hogwarts will be up soon! In the meantime, the deadline for the current December ingredient, Bay Leaf, will be extended to January 31 to allow everyone to get acclimated to our new kitchens. :smile:

hourglasses
:zap: Headmistress Jennie casts the House Points Charm! :zap:

2 Likes

So excited for our new home! Something fresh with something familiar all at the same time! Canā€™t wait to get some extra crafting in before the end of the month. Welcome everyone!

1 Like

Challenge: Iron Chef - Bay Leaf
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Slow Cooker Hoppinā€™ John
Brief Description: I had a rather rough end of 2019 personally. With the added emotional loss over our previous home, and the stress of saving data to rebuild our Craftalong, I am happy to put 2019 behind me. Additionally, I thought my husband & I could use some luck to bring forward into 2020, so I went with a Southern tradition, and made Hoppinā€™ John, a dish of black eyed peas, cooked with mire poix, and smoked ham hocks, and served over rice. This picture is it cooking in the crockpot. I didnā€™t get a pic after cooking. We devoured it too quickly! :joy:
Project Picture:

**Class or Challenge Title: Arithmancy
**SPEW:
**House: Hufflepuff
**Project Name & Page Link: Mansions of Madness Miniature
Brief Description: My husband got me the board game Mansions is Madness for Christmas. It came with a ton of miniatures that were just begging for painting. Iā€™ve been wanting to get into miniature painting for awhile, and Iā€™ve only done a little before with my BIL. My BIL got me some painting supplies for Christmas and I went and got some more today so I could get going. Here is the first one! Itā€™s definitely got ridges, albeit tiny ones! It took me a couple hours to do, and it still needs sealing, but Iā€™m happy with it!
**Project Picture:

2 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: Care of Magical Creatures
*SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: Another Mansions of Madness Miniature
**Brief Description: Yup, another one. The game came with over 30 miniatures. The player ones that Iā€™ve started with are about 2 inches all. My eyes had to take a break from the smallness painting! This gal is an urchin, so I made her look more dirty. :slight_smile:
**Project Picture:

3 Likes

**Class or Challenge Title: DADA
**SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: ā€œLetā€™s do thisā€ Shirts
Brief Description: We surprised the kids with a trip to Disneyland for Christmas. We met up with my cousin and her family. I made us all matching red/white shirts with heat transfer vinyl so we could be all matchy. :wink: I made a total of 7 shirts.
**Project Picture:

1 Like

Such adorable miniatures @jillybeans, both the actual miniatures and the miniature humans XD

And I have never heard about Hoppinā€™ John before @MistressJennie, I fear my son would hate the pepper but Iā€™m still tempted to try it, sounds interesting :smiley:

1 Like

Class: Apparition
Project Name & Link: 6 Rings Necklace
Brief Description: I made this necklace for my mom, who turned 60 this year. The 6 copper rings each represent a decade of her life. Mr. Road helped me make the rings. :slight_smile:

Challenge: 12 Trees - Bells
Project Name & Link: Woven Ornaments
Brief Description: Made with natural fibers, these little weavings are both pretty to look at and texturally interesting to touch and feel.

Challenge: 12 Trees - Candle
Project Name & Link: Jersey Heart Tee
Brief Description: Made for Mr. Road, who loves his home state. A friend was wearing a shirt with this design several years ago, but we were never able to find one like it. So I made him one! There was lots of happy glowing upon receipt. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Divination
SPEW:
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name & Page Link: Fudge!
Brief Description: I wasnā€™t in a huge baking mood this year, so I took the easy route and made fudge instead. I made regular, some with walnut, and mint! And of course, the finishing touches, cutting them into squares with a knife! The three batches were enough for both my families and it was so quick to do! Sure so love me some fudge!
Project Picture:

Recipe here:

1 Like

@Abbeeroad, what a cool idea for the milestone Bā€™day- great thinking!
@jillybeans Now I want me some fudge! lol looks delish!
@MistressJennie, How much do you love a crockpot? I use mine ALLLL the time (except on those days where Iā€™m all ā€œI just CANā€™T wash that thing one. more. time. this week!ā€ lol Idk what it is about cleaning the crock but some days I just canā€™t do it. weirdo.)

1 Like

Yay another Hufflepuff! That fudge looks amazing, @jillybeans. Will you be posting the recipe?

2 Likes

Found it!

I will add it to the post, too!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Charms
SPEW:
Project Name & Page Link: Yet another Miniature (The Gravedigger)
Brief Description: I am getting DEEP into this miniature painting. We went and bought MORE paints today. Iā€™m getting quite the collection. These miniatures really do make me slow down and concentrate since they are so small and detailed. This one is my favorite so far. It was fun making him dirty and giving him dirty knees. This game is gonna look so good when Iā€™m done. Only 30 more to go! :grimacing:
Project Picture:

2 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Astronomy Alchemy
Project Name: Itty Bitty Baby Hat
Brief Description: Trying to use up the scrap yarn from a pair of socks I ended up with an itty bitty baby hat with a strong resemblance to Jupiter.

IMG_0692%20(2)

2 Likes

A new Iron Chef Hogwarts Secret Ingredient has been posted!

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: SoAR (Runes)
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: ā€˜found poetryā€™ altered book
Brief Description: I wanted to turn this very ā€˜machoā€™ and violent novel (just Ā£1 from poundland) into something very ā€˜feminineā€™ - which was a real challenge on the page in the photo as thereā€™s so much violence in it! I have very little money and next to no craft materials being in temp student accommodation, so I didnā€™t want to go too crazy or perfectionist with this. Plus I admit I have no patience and the attention span of a gnat :blush: So I glued floral fabric to the bookā€™s cover, and sewed on tabs for the 7 poems it contains (7 being Neptuneā€™s number, Neptune ruling poetry). I didnā€™t want the pages to cockle up too much (as they do when painted) plus I wanted the original words to show through but not dominate, so I used strips of glued on tissue paper round the words Iā€™d highlighted in felt tipped pen.

Interesting project, Eddie!

Itā€™s Friday, which meansā€¦

I have nothing to share, but maybe you do! :smile:

whistles and walks slowly in opposite direction while pointedly not making eye contact

2 Likes