CLOSED: Harry Potter Craftalong - Yule 2021/22

@CraftsUntold Those cookies look awesome

@tendstowardschaos I love that shawl.

Class Hermione’s book club the patronus.
House, Ravenclaw.

Project: fabulous pink tree skirt for my fabulous pink flamingo themed tree. I had a war with this project. It was never meant to be a tree skirt, it was going to be a shawl for me. The pattern was ok, although it has quite a few new to me stitches. But I really wasn’t feeling it and it was winning the war of attrition. But in a moment of inspiration (modest!) I thought it would work for the tree skirt. So I made a load of tassels and voila…

The tree! Which I love, flamingo themed of course.

Class 12 trees angel
Project. I made this throw for a dear friend. She is an absolute angel and adores the colour green. It’s a vintage velvet curtain with some beautiful brocade not from my stash but from my "carefully curated collection. "

She actually got all emotional just now when I gave it to her.

Class 12 trees baubles
Project I made this scrappy star cushion for my sister. I really love this, but I love her more so I’ll be giving it to her. I put a cool funky stripe on the back.

6 Likes

And I have to show you guys our Harry potter/Disney tree. It would have been all HP, but the tree was upgraded to three times the size this year and we didn’t have enough. (There should have been a couple of more but I was flaked on a personal swap for HP ornaments) but there are years of ornaments swaps on there. And that makes me so happy.

6 Likes

I love your projects and your tree!! :heart_eyes:

Hiya everyone! Here to announce that we are planning another Crafternoon! This time with a twist, an afternoon of crafting while enjoying a group viewing on Harry Potter and the Sorcerers (Philosophers) Stone. Please vote for which day and time works works best for you by this Friday, Dec 10.

• Saturday, December 11, 2021
  • Sunday, December 12, 2021
  • Saturday, December 18, 2021
  • Saturday, December 19, 2021

0 voters

Please select which time generally works out best for you. You don’t have to show up right at the start time, you are welcome to join in when it’s convenient and leave early if needed.

• 6am PST, 9am EST, 2pm GMT, 1am AEDT (Next Day)
  • 9am PST, 12pm EST, 5pm GMT, 4am AEDT (Next Day)
  • 12pm PST. 3pm EST, 8pm GMT, 7am AEDT (Next Day)
  • 3pm PST, 6pm EST, 11pm GMT, 10am AEDT (Next Day)

0 voters

Thanks for doing the GMT calculation. I alwas seem to get it wrong! Because we’re the same in the winter and +1 in the summer

1 Like

Exciting! I will probably still be finishing up xmas gifts at this time, so setting aside the time to craft is just what I need! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Fingers crossed I got it correct. I’m always paranoid the world clock converter thing will be wrong.

I need to check in here more often, I only just saw the meet up time vote :slight_smile: I’ll come along if I can!

Class; Alchemy
House; Hufflepuff
Project: candles
Wax isn’t just malleable - it’s liquid! I’ve been collecting thrift store glassware to make candles in for Xmas gifts. This is batch one - they are rosemary & fennel scented, with a splash of petitgrain as a base note. I ran out of wax (I always underestimate!) So they’ll be more at some point

Class; Herbology
House; Hufflepuff
Project; soap
These soap bars are white, but also an antidote for sadness for me as I used Rosemary as the main scent - it reminds me of my husband and always makes me smile

Challenge: 12 trees - bells
House: Hufflepuff
Project: lipbalm
These feel good, smell good and even taste pretty nice when you lick your lips! They are Sweet Fennel scented

6 Likes

Class or Challenge Title: Headmistress December - Baubles
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Purple & Teal Batik Clothesline Necklace
Brief Description: I made this piece this afternoon in Abbeeroad’s Clothesline Necklace Class here on LC. Abbie sent us kits, and I’m completely in love with the beautiful teal and purple batik she sent me. The winged heart pendant and Swarovski crystal heart were in my stash. They are on a giant jump ring that fits over the clasp, so that when little Godzilla becomes grabby-handed, I can remove it.
Project Picture:

5 Likes

Beautiful necklace, Jennie!

Challenge: 12 trees - angel
Project: hand/massage oils
I had 2 essential oils that were down to a couple of drops - to avoid wasting the last of them I added some other oils and a mix of good carriers to make a nice moisturising / protecting hand or body oil. I’m going to give one each to my partner teacher and her trainee - she’s been an absolute angel helping me settle into my new job! There’s only a few days of term left but we are batteling ever decreasing staff numbers as more people get ill, so hopefully this will be a pick me up to see us through to the end!

Challenge: 12 trees - candles
Project; beeswax candles
I had some beeswax left over from making lipbalm so i thought I’d have a go at making candles from it. I knew it’d be a learning curve so I just used some old jars (more my style anyway!) And I was right to, since the wick shrinkage was huge! This is before they had even cooled, it got worse!!

I did my best to fix it but didn’t have enough left over wax so there was limited I could do. Still, they will still give me and my home a happy warm glow - they smell utterly wonderful and vi love the colour

Challenge: 12 trees - lights
Project: last batch of candles!
Thanks to next day delivery, I was able to finish up my candle making today. Heres the whole host together. They’ll certainly light up the holiday once lit :smiley:

Challenge; 12 trees - star
Project: knitting book
In theory, I keep a notebook of all my knitting projects - having everything organised and recorded allows me to continually improve and so let my talents shine. In practice, I keep a pile of post-it’s and scrap paper in assorted Project bags, and then occasionally transfer that into my book. I used the down time waiting for wax to melt or cool to write it all up properly and fix in my yarn bands. I did 9 pages worth (shockingly disorganised, no?!)

6 Likes

Hi everyone! December’s crafternoon/ movie afternoon will be this Sunday, December 19, 2021 beginning at 12pm PST, 3pm EST, 8pm GMT, 7am AEDT (next day). I hope to see you there!!

5 Likes

I just realized that I made an error on the poll for our crafternoon. I had both December 18 & 19 as Saturday. The 19th won out over the 18th, so I’m hoping this still work out best. So sorry for the inconvenience. :disappointed:

1 Like

Class or Challenge Title: Book Club Ch 12
House: Gryffindor!
Project Name & Page Link: Wood Advent Calendar
Brief Description: Much like Harry learning the Patronus Charm, this project was so much bigger of an undertaking than I anticipated! It was 3 full days of work to sand, stain, seal, decoupage, paint, and glue the whole thing, but I’m pretty thrilled with how it came out. I posted it last night while tired, and this morning realized how much info I had left out, so I edited the post today to include so much more detail.
Project Picture:

4 Likes

A new Hermione’s Book Club prompt has been posted!

Slipping in with an assignment or two…

Class: Apparition
Project Pattern: Made using Wovenflame’s Top Down Raglan Tunic for Littlefee pattern
Project Description: A shortened version of the pattern linked above, but knit flat to avoid some rather unfortunate color pooling. I guess inspired by Candyland as a destination?

Class: Herbology
Project Name: Craftsman Poinsettia Doll Dress
Project Description: A bit tame for the wild and crazy portion of the prompt but it definitely fits the red and white aspect. Or maybe more of a red and cream. Who knows - colors are hard.

4 Likes

I haven’t really been a big help to my house this year. I keep choosing super long-term projects and not fun ones I can do in less than a month but I think I have one or two I can post, I’ll check once my shift as “Human Jungle Gym” ends.

Happy crafting all!

1 Like

Come join us for some crafting and a movie!

I cannot tell you how very, very much I wished I could join this. My husband is sick (just got the call and is covid negative thankfully) so the “all me all day” 3 year old entertainment center has been going full force with no breaks for days. (She no longer naps! :sob:) I actually had plans for an in-person hang out with my sister that had to be canceled for this Man-Cold yesterday (and my disposition shows it).
I hope you guys had a relaxing and crafty good time; I’m appropriately jealous!

1 Like

@FiberAlchemist, @Abbeeroad & I had a lovely time crafting together. Thank you os much for hosting this for us Barbara!

2 Likes

Please please don’t let this stop you from joining in! I feel like this too, especially when I think how prolific I was once upon a time, so I know how you feel - but honestly we would be so much the poorer as a group if you didn’t show us what you were up to - house points or no.

2 Likes