Coffee-Dyed Check Register Book

For the gift exchange at the 2023 Champaign meetup, I made this notebook/journal from some old, unused checkbook registers.

And when I say old…

I took apart the registers, coffee dyed the pages, and then mixed them together into two signatures. Apparently I took way fewer photos of the dyeing process than I thought, so all I really have is this photo of them bound into the book.

And here’s a shot of the spine. The cover is made from a cake-mix box gessoed in black and collaged with some of my painty cleanup paper towels. They’re attached to the spine with packing tape that I then covered with some wide washi.

Thanks for looking!

16 Likes

So glad you posted this. In the start of the almost back-to-school frenzy, I’m not sure exactly where I put it…I know it’s probably very close by, but hey, now I can just share the link the LC Meetup thread.

It’s very unique and all mine. Thanks.

4 Likes

This is fabulous! Great way to upcycle old papery things - and I really like this choice of binding, it looks like it would allow plenty of room to collage and glue inserts into it and still close properly.

2 Likes

Oooh, very cool!

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve done two signatures, and I was sort of basing it off of videos I remembered seeing rather than looking up actual instructions. So I probably actually spaced it for three signatures :laughing:. But I was okay with it for the reasons you give. This gives Lynx plenty of room to bulk it up if she wants.

1 Like

It’s really beautiful. What a great way to use up something that most of us would so easily throw away.

1 Like

Checkbook registers! What a brilliant use for something that has mostly gone by the wayside. Now I am remembering/realizing that there was this time when we could do our reconciling online, but were still using checks for so many things and feeling just a tiny big nostalgic. This would be fun to fill!

1 Like

I was just admiring those and would never have guessed what they were. What a great way to use up all sorts of various bits that would normally be trashed!

1 Like

I LOVE the way these look. Who would have thought? You are the master of upcycling. I had grabby hands for this in the exchange. :wink:

3 Likes

This turned out really pretty. And I love that there’s lots of room for bulk. Good call!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

Aww! That’s really gratifying :heart:.

3 Likes