Collage dragon bookmark

This is my first go at this kind of paper cutting style, and I’m pretty happy with it! The color behind the black outline is made up of images from a seed catalog - the flames are a nasturtium photo, the dragon is goji berries, the smoke is eggplant, and so forth.

This was a gift for a friend who loves cats and DnD, so I combined them! Next time I’ll try to get better photos before I gift it. :sweat_smile:

22 Likes

Cool, using the seed catalog pix. And I’ve long thought that dragons are kind of like really big cats.

2 Likes

Oooh, love this technique! Very cool dragon picture, too.

2 Likes

All those detailed cuts! And such a cool design!

2 Likes

This is really cool. I didn’t realize it was cut out and the images were behind it. That makes it even cooler!

1 Like

The cat is the Knight. It has ears and a tail!

I didnt see that. But dragons still remind me of cats.

Wow!! This came out really cool and I bet your friend loved it!

:mag_right: :eyes: :telescope: :eyeglasses: Well, lookie here! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :mag_right: :eyes: :telescope: :eyeglasses:

1 Like

I love your use of a seed catalog for the colors. The various images read as collage rather than flowers or berries or anything like that, I especially like how the transition of yellow to orange flames. Did you cut this by hand?

1 Like

Yup! Did it all with an exacto. I was trying to come up with a clever way to get the right shapes of the colored pages so they didn’t overlap, but it wound up being a lot of trial and error. Next time I’m going to do a rubbing of the front surface with some scrap paper or something.

1 Like

Wow! That is some impressive hand cutting, you really managed to get some teeny tiny cuts in there!

1 Like

Wow! This is a work of art! I love how you did this!

1 Like

Whoa! This is amazing! Super creative and fun. I love the fact that the images are from a seed catalog!!!

1 Like

I’m always impressed by paper cutting. you did a great job! love the cat fighting the dragon!

1 Like