Color and Weave Gamp

I wove these color and weave gamps a few weeks ago and am really happy with how they turned out! Color and weave is a technique where most/all of the patterning is provided by the color order on top of a simple weave structure (these are plain weave, the simplest weave structure there is). A gamp is a sampler that mixes different threadings and treadlings to produce lots of information in one piece of cloth. It is used as a reference for later projects.

Here’s the finished group. I got 3 gamps and 2 towels out of the warp

Here’s the original gamp where you can see the 7 warp sequences (going left to right) are crossed with the same sequences starting from the bottom. So if you travel diagonally from the bottom right corner up to the top left, you can see where each sequence intersects with itself.

Here’s a shot of one of the other gamps I wove using sequences from a book (not from the warp).

Here are the 2 small towels

And here’s how I use the gamp. The cardboard windows are an amazing design tool because they allow your eyes to focus on what you’re looking at.

And for fun, here’s what it looked like when it came off the loom

27 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Looks beautiful but sounds like you’re speaking a foreign language with all those terms :smiley:

4 Likes

My goodness I love, love, LOVE these! I love checkered patterns, I love the practical application aspect, I love how as a whole they are also so attractive!

1 Like

Very cool! I can’t geek out on all the weaving technicalities but I love the final result!

2 Likes

I agree! I know @photojenn is speaking English but I still have no idea what she said…but, she has beautiful towels and “gamps”… lol

3 Likes

Same! I don’t understand it, but I sure can appreciate it. Pretty!

1 Like

I don’t know all the terms and reasons behind it, but I love that you have these towels that are coordinating and matching but all have their own flare!

1 Like

I love it all! You know what’s funny? The brown strip is my favourite part. That colour looks great with the blk, wht & yellow.

1 Like

WOW stunning work!

1 Like

Stunning! Always in awe of your work!

2 Likes

Love it! I love plaids and this one is gorgeous!

1 Like

How amazing! Those towels are great. I love how you did a study on pattern to see what you like the best.

2 Likes

gorgeous work as always! Love the vocab lesson :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:black_heart: :scissors: :white_heart: Congratulations! Your amazing project has been Featured this week! :white_heart: :scissors: :black_heart:

1 Like

so impressive! very classic looking – have you been a weaver for very long?

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve been weaving a little over 5 years.

Sooo gorgeous!
I love that this is a reference for you :hugs: when you use your square window frame to pick a pattern, are you able to identify how it was made by looking at it? Or do you need to go back to your notes and think something like, B7… there’s the instructions for that :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

That is so interesting. I love the sample that looks like basket weave (1 vertical and 2 horizontals), at the very top in the same column as your cardboard window.

1 Like

Thank you! I can read the weaving itself (first look at the color order in the warp, then the color order in the weft) but I also have project notes.

1 Like