Convertible Fingerless Mitts

I enjoy making fingerless mitts for friends and really, anyone who might want them. I wear them indoors when the air conditioner is blasting because it is 90 degrees outside, and yet, here I am trying to keep warm!

I came across this pattern for searching for another pattern and thought I would give it a try. I will say right up front that while this is an easy and basic pattern, I am not in love with it.

I think when they are worn with the cuffs down, they are fine and look nice, but when worn with the cuffs rolled up to keep your fingers and thumb warm, they look a bit awkward. I was going to turn them into mittens, but I really have no need for mittens, so guess they will stay rolled down for me!

At least I have another pair to throw into my giveaway box! I have enough yarn leftover to make a matching hat or maybe a scarf.

19 Likes

They seem very practical regardless of that awkward bit! And that is a wonderful yarn!

2 Likes

I see what you mean about the convertible bit, but with the cuffs turned back they’re really cute. I think the yarn is gorgeous colours!

2 Likes

Very cute with the cuffs! And the colors in that yarn are just gorgeous.

2 Likes

My fingers get cold really easily, so I can kind of see the appeal of the overhang – they’d keep the the fingers warmer at rest but more easily accessible when needed for typing, etc. But maybe that’s really a retractable mitten more than a fingerless mitt :laughing:.

2 Likes

I love the yarn! And I’m sure they’re very practical. It does seem a bit absurd that you retired to a sunny beach house, only to still need winterwear to survive other people’s a/c :laughing:

2 Likes

Love this yarn! Great colors. The fold up/down concept is interesting and does seem practical, if a bit clumsy in practice.

1 Like

The colors are really beautiful. Well done.

1 Like

The fold down part seems interesting to me. I think it looks neat and adds a cool visual effect to them. Do they extend past the tips of your fingers? I can see myself pulling them down when I had to grab a cold steering wheel.
Love the colors. That gray to purple blend is especially fantastic!

2 Likes

Thanks–and yes, both the fingers and the thumb go past the ends of my fingers…the function is fine, but they look kind of silly…plus…it takes too long to fold them back down…but I scrunched them down to test if I could answer my phone while wearing them and it worked!

3 Likes

Wow! The colors are beautiful and I love that you can extend them when it’s extra cold outside. As someone who lives in a super cold climate in the winter, these would be perfect!

2 Likes

I. Love. These!

1 Like