My son has a cultural heritage festival at school this week, and has to dress in the traditional costume of some of his ancestors. The costumes only have to be partially accurate, not perfect replicas. But, I was able to track down an out-of-print copy of a Burda Kids pattern for lederhosen.
The pattern called for leather or imitation leather. I wasn’t willing to spend that much and I doubt my son would have enjoyed wearing it. With some modifications to the pattern, I figured I could make corduroy work. I ran into a couple other obstacles:
- The pattern only went to a size 10, and my kiddo is closer to a 12. The finished size was just large enough, but would have left very little wearing ease. I glued the pattern pieces to card stock so that I could add just a bit extra to each (and add seam allowances where there were none).
- My son has a severe dislike of metal. So, no zippers, buckles, or eyelets allowed. I used buttons in place of buckles, and lacing instead of a zipper. Eyelets were done using the buttonhole function on my sewing machine.