Cover/case for ereader

When planning this Christmas gift for my stepmom, I asked my dad to sneakily measure her ereader so this case would fit exactly. The only issue ended up being… he didn’t realize he was measuring the case she already had on it! So now it’s double-cased, this one being more padded and decorative.

I didn’t have any black or green elastic, so I sewed a fabric tube the length of its maximum stretch and threaded it though. I actually like the effect more than a plain elastic! The outer fabric is barkcloth, and the inner is quilting cotton.

Inside, she can position the ereader so the corner tabs hold it in place, or she can tuck it in the pocket for travel protection.

I used this tutorial from whipstitch and it was very easy to follow! In the comments, some folks have posted adjusted measurements for specific devices. I used those to guess how I should adjust given I didn’t know which brand/model I was working for.

8 Likes

Ooh, bark cloth. So retro and fancy at the same time! It looks great.

1 Like

This is amazing! Such a thoughtful gift!

3 Likes

Nice! It’s pretty and functional :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that big leaf fabric. It’s very graphic and pretty!

1 Like

I so need one of these for my Kindle. I really like the fabric you chose. Is it barkcloth?

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it is - I ironed on some heavy interfacing so it didn’t shift around too much as I was working.

When my stepmom opened the gift, she said “Wow this fabric is exactly what I would have chosen myself!” …Forgetting that she actually did choose it herself, many years ago when I made throw pillows for her sofa. :laughing:

3 Likes

Misunderstandings when it comes to measuring has happened with me as well, at least now how detailed you have to be about what you want :stuck_out_tongue:
But this looks really cute, I love the summer vibe I get from the green leaves, really pretty

1 Like