“Craft Alert!” Letter Opener

For the L-and-C Grab Bag Swap, I was trying to be flexible by making items that could be used for either L or C.

A Letter opener had popped into my mind early on, because so much of my mail is Lettuce Craft swap packages or Happy Mail. But I couldn’t initially think of a way to make it be a C also.

Then it hit me — I would crochet at the top! I had a nice stainless steel letter opener that was shaped like a big needle, with an elongated hole at the top. I grabbed some crochet thread, and crocheted all around. It looked… not great.

So I ripped it out and tried some different ways of crocheting the top. All failures! (Sorry, no pictures.)

Then I suddenly remembered some fun fabric I had in stash.

The design elements were elongated like the letter opener, and there was even an office-supply vibe to it—perfect!

So I found some yarn that matched, and crocheted around the letter opener again with that. Then fussy-cut a couple of the fun phrases, stretched them over some stiff felt and stitched them in place. (The one on the back went kind of wonky in the process; oops!)

Last, I decorated the end with a few little wool balls I had in stash. So festive!

I like it, and imagine the recipient, @Bunny1kenobi, using it to open her incoming Happy Mail and ATCs.

19 Likes

ACK! This is so clever and fun! Even without all the “L” and “C” considerations, it’s packed with charm and practicality!

3 Likes

This is so cute and original! I love the fresh idea. That fabric is amazing too. With the wool balls it gives me fun circus vibes. :smiley:

2 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

Thanks! This is actually one of my favorite things I’ve ever made, wonky or not. Maybe because of all the false starts; I don’t know. But I’m actually looking for another similar letter opener so I can make one for myself.

2 Likes

I truly love this! Such a unique idea and a letter opener is something I will definitely use for all my happy mail and ATC requirements! It’s perfect!! So glad you had this stroke of genius and that I’m the lucky one profiting from it!! :blush:

3 Likes

This is really fun and perfect for a “Happy Mailer.” :smile:

3 Likes

I think this might be a first! How fun and original! You took a practical tool and made it fun!

3 Likes

This is such a fun idea!

2 Likes

This rocks so hard!

2 Likes

I love these so much! So clever!

2 Likes

What an adorable idea! I love the fact that it makes opening mail fun! The colors are great.

2 Likes

I love it. I’ve been thinking about crocheting around the top of my over-the-ear headphones to make them extra fun. I think this just helped solidify that idea in my mind.

2 Likes

This is so creative!

2 Likes

This is so cute & neat & interesting!

2 Likes