Craft Storage

I needed more craft storage in my small abode. A custom behind-the-sofa console with shelves seemed the best option, but with my limited budget, abilities and tools, making something from scratch was disaster waiting to happen. So, two small second-hand bookcases, lumber cut at a big box store and some thrifted wallpaper resulted in this:

With labels, of course.

Some versions I had seen online had electrical outlets integrated into the top but that was beyond my capabilities. A power bar hung on the side works just fine.

These are currently my less-used supplies, and the sofa is on wheels, so I can easily move it when necessary.

Instead of attaching the bookcases to the shell, I glued a thin, narrow ‘lip’ to the top and sides to prevent it from shifting. The brass corner braces are just for show - I suspect without the bookcases holding it up, the whole thing would collapse!

Gluing the ‘lips’ to the top:

Now, I just need to finish some of my many, many WIP and use up some of this ^%$#!

I forgot to mention, putting the couch on wheels (actually, they are casters) means I can also fit some of my SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy) of fabric/refashions under the couch!

29 Likes

This is a great idea! Out of sight storage but easily accessed!

4 Likes

off to buy a couch on wheels so I can do this too

9 Likes

This is excellent! That lip around the top is really smart and just makes it look like a behind-the-couch table. Everything is so nicely organized, too. Haha…I spy a “labels” label! :laughing:

5 Likes

This is super clever. Well done!

4 Likes

Custom made furniture! Not only clever and practical, but also pretty! Love that you came up with a solution.

I actually think need and limited time and money sparks the creative spirit. When you have to think about a way to make it work, having limitations really forces you to think!!!

Great job!

3 Likes

What a clever idea! I want a couch on wheels so I can do that, too!

4 Likes

This is amazing. I have so many supplies in my living room. I need to find a clever way to hide them. This looks so good. No one would ever guess that you had so much back there, or that you made it. You get a round of applause from this girl!

5 Likes

Thank you! Ah yes, my OCD tendencies on display for all to see!

2 Likes

This is really neat! What a fabulous and inspiring project!

3 Likes

Oh gosh, thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you. You’re right, having constraints forces you to explore different options. I really enjoy coming up with solutions but sometimes my results are, uh, disastrous. :grinning:

5 Likes

This is cool! I like the doubling up the narrow bookshelves… and now I’m suddenly wondering if something like this is the solution to my problem where I have thus far utterly failed to get anything to prevent the couch getting shoved back to where it covers the air vent… :thinking:

5 Likes

That looks great! And is super convenient for placing drinks. Or a small knit/crochet WIP. Or both! :wine_glass: :yarn:

3 Likes

I put any hand sewing there, so maybe I’ll remember to do it while I watch TV. I don’t put anything on it that might spill, as it’s covered with painted wallpaper, I’m worried it might not hold up! Luckily there are tables nearby for beverages.

4 Likes

:sun_behind_small_cloud: Congratulations! This little ray of sunshine is one of this week’s featured projects! :sun_behind_small_cloud:

2 Likes

Ah, thank you!

2 Likes

I really love this idea! And a sofa on wheels makes this absolutely perfect !

2 Likes

This is awesome!

2 Likes

What a clever idea! Looks great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes