Craft This In Your Style - LC Edition

Note to self … don’t leave it until the last day.

@gozer Have you picked a picture for May ?

3 Likes

I love the varying interpretations you guys are doing! So much creativity. My gut response to something like this is, “I can’t draw, this isn’t for me,” but you all have shown me there is more than one way to crack an egg!

4 Likes

It was changed to CRAFT in your style, instead of Draw for those of us ´drawing challenged’ :smiley:

6 Likes

Important distinction! Love it!

2 Likes

Or for those who want to express themselves another way, even if they can draw well.

2 Likes

For May We have a submission from @bunny1kenobi.
By Thomas Fedro. “Make Life Simple”.

This one should be really fun! Thank you Bunny1 for the suggestion!! :heart:

8 Likes

Don’t forget, if we get 10 participants, I will give out a physical prize. Last month we had 7.

5 Likes

I keep forgetting to do this! Gah!!!

2 Likes

That is darn cool.

1 Like

I ‘might’ attempt to draw this one.

2 Likes

Yay!!

2 Likes

My craft is 3D printing!

This is a cool technique for printing multiple colors on a 3D printer designed to print just one color at a time.
You create a separate print file for each color, and print one, change the filament color, print that one, etc. etc. etc… This has five colors and took about 3 hours to print, what with all the changes.

This can be used to print permanent, waterproof designs on dimensional items like boxes and phone cases.
I downloaded the original picture, then did the color separation, but forgot to flip the image before starting, so she’s backward. The printer had some issues up in that upper corner.

22 Likes

You are a pro with your 3D printer. What a fun interpretation!

1 Like

Cool! I know our 3-D printer has a bunch of excess you have to remove. Does this way do that too?

1 Like

Do you mean supports or are you using a printer that uses liquid?
Mine uses solid filament, and since this is flat, it doesn’t need supports.
And since I mostly make small, delicate things, I try to avoid supports completely, because they tend to leave marks.

2 Likes

My company has a metal 3-D machine room that I hang out in when I am trying to avoid people. It has this white stuff on it that the guy has to brush away. I was wondering if it was like that.

2 Likes

hmmm, mine doesn’t do that. maybe it’s something that professional or liquid resin printers do.
I’m happy to avoid people all day now that I’m retired.

ETA: metal 3D? so they’re extruding metal? how cool! mine just does plastic!

3 Likes

Yeah. It’s like a fine powder that the piece sits in. It’s hot when it’s done so that might be why.

2 Likes

I just read a little about 3d metal printers. Some use a high-power electron beam or a laser to heat the design inside a container of powdered metal. Metal 3D Printing: An Overview of the Most Common Types - 3D Printing
That would explain the powder you see.

Filament printers like mine work more like a hot glue gun; a thin continuous strand of plastic is fed into a hot tip and deposited on the build plate.

2 Likes

Wow, love this!

3 Likes