Create Prayer Flag

This prayer flag was created for @Edel in the Go Bananas Swap. I saw the design on Urban Threads, and knew I wanted to use it in something. I dug through my stash and couldn’t find much in the way of plain fabrics for the background, so I went with a soft tan on cream floral print that I felt matched the scrollwork in the embroidery design.

I did a row of hand stitch along the edge, and dug through my charms stash for the letters for CREATE. I didn’t like the color balance of the charms, so I altered the C and the T with some Vintaj metal patinas, trying to bring in more of the green and turquoise from the embroidery.

Also, funny story. This was the second or third image I’ve embroidered, and I was following what colors the machine was telling me to put in. It called for Lime, so I put in a shade of lime green. Too bad it was supposed to be a soft taupe, to fill in the body of the scissors, and the green was supposed to be elsewhere in the butterfly wings. I hate that it lied to me, but ended up liking the lime green on the scissors. It gave them an almost insect like feel to the body, which paired interestingly with the wings.

Meanwhile both photos are off color-wise. It’s less yellow than the first two make it appear, and less white than the last one does. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

This is gorgeous…and I agree…the touch of green in the scissors is a happy “mistake”! The floral background is perfect…and love how you did the words…such a beautiful and unique prayer flag…well done…(it was so great seeing you…we need to do a zoom with edel…miss you guys!)

1 Like

This is so pretty. I like to think it’s a bit HP-influenced, too. If there are winged keys, surely there are winged scissors? :wink:

1 Like

It’s even more fab in real life. I love the letters and the motif is great. The green really makes it for me

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful! I’d hang this prayer flag in a second! Lucky @Edel! :smiley:

1 Like

never trust the color renderings on a small embroidery machine! :green_heart: Glad it turned out so well. :grin:

(I think of embroidery patterns as coloring with thread… it helps to have a picture of the real thing handy to work from, tho!)

1 Like

So pretty, I love the butterfly snippers. And the charms spelling out create are so fun. I love this flag.

1 Like

This is so pretty. I love that image.

1 Like

This is beautiful!

1 Like

WOWOWOWOW! This is so cool! I am so impressed you were able to create “create” out of your charm stash. And I really dig that lime on the scissors; more insect-like and also like those scissors have seen some life and started to patina.

1 Like