Crochet-along

Picked up some yarn from the LYS to make myself a new hat and cowl to go with my new winter coat and boots. (I have been living in the South for 15 years. I no longer owned a coat or boots made for actual winter!) In person the yarn is more purple than orange. It somehow looks more orange in the photo. But in person it seems to glow from within. It’s Malabrigo Mecha, in color Archangel. It’s 100% wool but feels so, sooo soft that I would have guessed a blend.

8 Likes

Gorgeous! Great coloring for you!

1 Like

Interesting! At least I will be able to find weaving materials locally, should I ever take that up.

I do try to avoid synthetics as much as possible. We’ve got these very cool Guppy Bags for helping to keep microplastics out of waterways but I go for natural fibers as much as possible. In this case, the cost may just be too high for an entire blanket.

4 Likes

Holy fiber fun, batman, that yarn is stunning!

2 Likes

What about reclaiming yarn from thrifted sweaters? Might take a while to track down enough natural fiber garments, but, with New Year’s resolutions in full-swing, I’d bet a lot of people are cleaning out their closets.

5 Likes

I JUST finished a baby blankie and as soon as I block it, I’ll post. I’m making matching beanies with flowers and leaves on them.

I also designed a wrap from myself that I put aside for the blankie. Will get back on that soon. And I want to grow my unicorn blankie.

6 Likes

I’m going to join you all this year! I’m working on a WIP and it’s one of the few projects that’s not in storage right now. I started the Nostalgia 2018 CAL by Haakplein somewhere mid-year when I saw the kit on discount at the LYS. My mum had a blanket like that when I was a kid and I always loved it, so I wanted to make my own, but honestly, I’m not a fan of doing really big projects, especially not if they need to be joined together at the end. So I don’t think I’ll be doing something like this again.

4 Likes

I need to be more diligent about taking photos of my temperature blanket and I will join along here.

I am making a queen and spent about $75US inc shipping from Hobbii during Black Friday. I got extras of the colours I knew would be more common, but I have no idea if I have enough, so I will just have to wing it.

7 Likes

Yes please, share your progress, I find it interesting.

2 Likes

Making progress

13 Likes

Nice! I am working on other things as we wait for the Friday installment…

2 Likes

I can only do a few colors at a time so I’ll probably finish up this week’s rows on Thursday, just in time!

3 Likes

I wanted to get through the 15 different colors I have to use to make sure I was going to like it before proceeding…thankfully, I do like it so no new yarn for me! :frowning_face:

5 Likes

I’m interested to see the rest of your colours. I really like the last row, just didn’t expect it with the other colours.

2 Likes

Here’s 11 days of Perth weather. See today’s maximum and yesterday’s minimum? Yeah, they were the same. 25C. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Here are all the colors she used in the blanket (photo from Lucy’s blog). The green stands out a bit now but I think will blend in nicely once the blanket gets more length.

12 Likes

Caught up on this week’s rows

13 Likes

Yay! Looks really pretty!

3 Likes

That olive-y green is definitely the odd-colour-out with all the pastels, but it does blend in so nicely!

4 Likes

I was looking at the values and I think it’s pretty even with the darker purple color. The last row always sticks our more because the next row hasn’t started to integrate any of it yet. I’m really looking forward to seeing it grow.

8 Likes