Crochet tunic - hook too small?

So I finally got the worsted weight wool blend yarn I ordered for my sister’s Christmas present a few weeks before Christmas. So it’s a birthday gift now. Or next Christmas.

I haven’t bought the pattern yet, as I wanted to run with it a bit to make sure it wasn’t beyond me and I am now a bit unsure with the gauge. The pattern called for 5.5mm so I went up to 5.75 as I crochet tightly and the pattern has a gauge check after 6 rows. Way too big. Went down to 5.25. Still too big. Went to 4.5. Guess what? Too big. So now I am using 3.75mm and it came up with the right size bit it feels really stiff. I haven’t made much clothing with crochet, so I don’t know if this is good bad or otherwise?

3 Likes

Does the pattern use the same weight yarn as you are using? That will have an affect as well as the hook.

3 Likes

It looks like your pattern uses worsted weight too, but I can tell you from experience that the category can vary wildly. I worked up a sweater vest using what was called worsted weight and it didn’t look quite right, so I started it again with a slightly fluffier worsted weight and it looked and fit much better.

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel like certain yarns just don’t drape well, no matter what hook size you are using (and of course, the tighter the stitches, the worse the problem becomes.) I have this trouble a lot with cotton yarns, so I usually use a blend if I want the cotton look/feel. Maybe try some different yarns to see what works. (I have been known to do this surreptitiously in yarn aisles of craft stores.)
:rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks all. I did get a worsted weight, but I didn’t use yarnsub, so it’s likely not a great substitute. And I have bought a bunch of it now, so I need to try and make it work. :grimacing:

I was also thinking of trying a size down in the pattern, but changing the hook to make the gauge match. In addition to worrying about the crocheted fabric being too stiff, it’s quite difficult to work with. I think 4.5mm was ok, as was the 5.0mm, but the 3.75 makes it slow (well slower than usual) and Im trying to make it for April. Haha

I think I might also try the suggestion of washing a swatch to see how it feels after.

Thanks again!

1 Like