Crocheted kidney

I have horseshoe kidneys, and I’ve been experiencing kidney pain for a few months now, and off and on for at least the last 12 years. I finally got a diagnosis of UPJ and a crossing vessel is obstructing my ureter on the left side. I have exploratory surgery on February 7th to see what my anatomy is like since I’m not normal (anyone that knows me knows I’m not normal. My kidneys decided to be weird, too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). From there a decision on which surgery will be done and then they’ll schedule another surgery to fix the problem.

I decided to make my surgeon a kidney. I’ll give it to him when I see him in a few weeks.

22 Likes

Best of luck with the surgery. I hope you heal quickly and we get you back to full crafting capacity soon. The kidney is cute and I know your surgeon will get a kick out of it!

4 Likes

Congratulations on getting a diagnosis and I hope that your surgery goes well, you heal quickly, and get the answers you want to feel better. I love your crochet kidney! I bet your surgeon will get a kick out it, too.

2 Likes

Best of luck with your surgeries!

2 Likes

Oh, that will be displayed in the surgeon’s office, for sure! Very cute!

3 Likes

Sending healing vibes! I made an “angry gall bladder” for a friend for her gall bladder surgery & even tho it was like 5 minutes of work the night before, the hospital staff went bonkers for it. Your surgeon is going to love this beautiful skilled craft!

4 Likes

I hope you have the very best outcome. That kidney is magnificent and I know your surgeon will agree!

1 Like

An excellent channel for possible pre-surgery anxiety! Hope all goes well.

2 Likes

Sending healing vibes your way! Very happy that you are seeing at least a pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel now.

The kidney is adorable!

1 Like

A quick update! I had my surgery today. I might not need the second one, so yay for that!

I gave the surgeon the crocheted kidney when I saw him. He was tickled pink when he saw it. He said it is genuinely the coolest gift he’s ever gotten, and is going to put it on a shelf in his office. He was going around to the surgical nurses, other surgeons, and anesthesiologists, bragging about his cool patient. A few even popped their heads in to tell me how awesome it was. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Glad your surgery went well, and that the surgeon so enjoyed the gift. It must have been nice to have people popping in to say nice things. Good way to add some upbeat energy to an otherwise less-than-upbeat experience.

2 Likes

I just bet he was because how excellent is this?!

2 Likes