Crossover Apron - free pattern link

If you are looking to try an easy enough pattern for this Japanese style cross-over back apron, Hey June has a free Allspice Apron pattern available to print out in a couple of formats (pieces of paper you tape together or you can have it printed in one piece at a print shop).

Pocket detail, I do love pockets but may have made this a bit too wide. You will see what I mean in the actions shots below.

The sewing instructions call for either a fold over edge or bias tape and they suggest doing a slight gathering under the arm so it isn’t too floppy. This is the same sort of thing I did with the Verity Hope Smock I made for Heather and it did help the underarm lay a bit nicer.
Since I made this apron double sided, the underarm finishing includes a small length of elastic sewn inside in the curve then top stitched at the edge and a quarter inch in. I think I could have just done a slight gathering stitch in the seam allowance instead, or a bit less tension in the elastic.

I didn’t have quite enough fabric to make the entire apron double sided so I left the lining hem short and finished the curved outer hem with a couple rows of stitching that got slightly gathered to ease the curve when folded over. If you don’t know what I mean, I can link a video.

And here it is on. I don’t find it particularly flattering, a bit frumpy to be honest. And you can see the wide pocket causes some sort of odd stiffness in the skirt.

You can see the elastic gathers in the waist curve here.

I chose the largest size because I wasn’t sure how it would fit. I think I could have gotten away with a mid size, there were actually quite a few choices.

And a progress shot, since we all love sewing p_rn, haha.

Oh, and the seam allowance is ENORMOUS, really excessive for my habits. I’m not sure I loved how the shoulder seams aligned either. But all in all, I would recommend this pattern for intermediate sewing or a brave beginner. It’s a lot of fabric, lots of pinning, a lot of thread. Go with the bias finished seams.

19 Likes

Nice! Maybe it’s not the height of fashion, but it’s an apron, it’s supposed to cover up you up, and it does look like it covers a lot. You can go and paint all the things now!

1 Like

You did a wonderful job sewing it. It does look very utilitarian and it does seem that sort of style is everywhere since it is comfortable and does not require precise fittings.

I really dislike the bias tape finishes, but I suspect it would make for a lighter and more flowing apron.

I also am not wild about the “frumpy” look, but I think it would definitely serve the purpose of keeping your clothes cleaner.

1 Like

That Verity Hope smock looked like an absolute sack on me too, lol. Super cute on Heather tho. I suspect this style is only flattering on the very slim figure, for the rest of us it’s a work garment.

The thing about a “flowy” apron is that unless it’s got lots of gathers or pleats, it sticks to your clothes & doesn’t hang well. I hate a bunch of apron crawling between my thighs, not nice!

1 Like

I agree…I prefer the simple a-line style aprons that tie. A half apron is good for gardening, but I have resorted to wearing just old, tatty clothes for messy jobs! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I see what you mean about the pocket making it drape awkwardly. But, other than that, it’s a lovely apron! It looks comfortable to wear and it definitely gives good coverage.

I have a similar pattern in my queue, just haven’t chosen a fabric for it.

1 Like

I love these kinds of aprons, very useful. If you are doing messy work you aren’t going for a fashion look anyway, but functionality. As to the pocket issue, divide the pocket in half by stitching up the center. It stops the sag tendency, especially when you put things in the pocket. Or divide it into a small and medium pocket by stitching off center.

2 Likes

It is divided up the middle. It isn’t saggy so much as making the front stiff.
I think I will give this one away & try a different size, tweak the shoulder alignment, reduce the seam allowance to 3/8".

I got to practice sewing the straps completely internally like you do with a tailored vest, haven’t done that since school. Fun!

1 Like

Hm… I’m thinking maybe a smaller size, and then knock about 6" off the bottom and add a ruffle instead. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m 5’7" 155lbs
He’s 6’1" 185lbs.

Fits him pretty good. I’ll make a smaller size for myself & try the bias finishing.

4 Likes

I think it looks great, where you see frumpy, I see classic and simple. Plus you did a great sewing job on it

4 Likes

I covet this apron and might have to actually learn to use the sewing machine taking up space in my house in order to copy you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I encourage you to try! And if sewing bums you out, I’ll just send you one. 2 enjoyable nights of cutting & stitching to make this one, I wouldn’t mind at all. I have a linen duvet cover that got torn on the edge, it’s literally yards & yards of fabric to use up. Easy to dye too, if oatmeal is not your jam, lol.

1 Like

Oatmeal is totally my jam… until I stain it with actual jam and then creative cover ups galore! Lol

2 Likes

Definitely looks like you just made it too big! Rob looks great in it!

1 Like

I think this apron is great, I don’t see frumpy, I see comfort and lots of coverage.

3 Likes

Love this, it’s such a great design.

2 Likes

It looks great. Not frumpy. It gives it some sass!

1 Like