Cuckoo clock with a surprise!

Cuckoo!

I am a geocacher. Geocaching is like an outdoor scavenger hunt. Sometimes, it can be indoor, such as library caches. I knew that I wanted to create my own library cache, but oftentimes they are quite special and I did not want to disappoint my local geocaching community. I went on a mission to look around a particular branch of the county library system. I looked around the small library, took photos, noted how fun the children’s section looked, and went to the drawing board.

I decided to use a series of smaller birdhouses that contain the numbers to open a lock on a large cuckoo clock.
Here are the three smaller birdhouses.

Do you see the different birds on the birdhouses? Those are the order in which the lock is to be opened: Goldfinch, Bluebird, Chickadee.

Here is the clock in situ. This “tree” was the main inspiration for the clock. The clock was hung with a soft yarn so as not to damage the tree.

The base of the clock is a plain wooden craft box that I’m sure I purchased from Michaels. I covered the box with scrapbooking paper using a strong glue. The blue fanciness around it is a wooden frame that I also purchased from Michaels and painted using a blue acrylic. I was lucky that Michaels also had wooden leaves and a wooden bird, which I painted then covered the front with a bumpy embossed scrapbooking paper. The frame around the bird and the circle for the clock part were all wooden parts from Michaels that I painted with acrylics. The clockwise CUCKOO! were all from an alphabet stamp set that I have, and probably stamped using black StazOn. The chain for the bottom I purchased at a hobby store and the pinecones were actually Christmas ornaments that I thought looked useful from the previous Christmas. The bird is needlefelted and has a tiny black bead for each eye.

A sideview of the clock shows you the clasp without the lock on it. The clasp was easy to install, but people often forget to shut the regular one. It’s not that big of a deal, it’s just annoying to me as a creator.

When you open up the clock, the interior is gold and has several birds on the door. They’re fun stickers that I found and, yes, I bought more in case these come off. There you see the small box that houses the logbook (necessary for a geocache) with a pen or pencil and small goodies for kids and kids-at-heart.

And, for those that like geo-stats, it was hidden on 1/5/16 and has 16 favorites with 64% of people favoriting it. I think it would have more, but the town is out-of-the-way. I think most of the locals have solved it, because I see names on the log that I don’t know or are regular names and not geonicks. The librarians love having it there. This was my first library cache and now I have two! I’d like to make more, but just haven’t gotten around to it yet (and library caches are a hot commodity around here). Here’s the GC: GC698G8

Thank you all for taking a gander at my creation. I’m pretty proud of it.
Oh, and if you have geocaching-related questions, I can answer most, I’d like to think, since I’ve found almost 3,000 of them!

15 Likes

Cool!
I’ve only geocached once, years ago before cellphones made the technology universally available. It’s a great excuse to go for a walk!

1 Like

I agree! I have found so many interesting places both in the mountains and in the suburbs around me from geocaching. Yes, it is much easier with a smartphone with the app.

How fun! My son went geocaching once with his social studies class. They had a blast!

1 Like

this is THE coolest! i am a geocacher too!

1 Like

Yes! There are several members of the geocaching community here that are teachers and/or scout leaders and one their projects is to go geocaching together and it usually ends up with a new geocache in the area!

Super fun hobby, am I right? Although when you get in the higher range of difficulty it becomes a sport :smiley: So… do the libraries in your area need a geocache in them? Because it can be a pretty fun project! My geonick is “irid3sc3nt”

This is fabulous! We do letterboxing -this would be a fun way to hide the stamp.

2 Likes

This is so creative! I’m not too familiar with geo-caching other than the general concept. Are they often so elaborate? The one at my work was disguised as a rock, unfortunately it was lost in a hurricane. I don’t think there is much of a geo-caching community here because I don’t think anyone has replaced it.

1 Like

That would be super fun to have a letterbox in a library. I actually think there is one in Denver that has a letterbox hybrid.

Not all geocaches are equal in that regard. Many of the Denver Public Libraries have interesting hides, some much more elaborate than mine. I’ve been to other libraries in my travels that have geocaches. Some are fake books hidden in the shelves usually in the geocaching or outdoor hobby section. Sometimes they are behind the library desk.
The other library cache I have is a type called a Wherigo. I have the cacher go on a tour of the historic town and it ends inside the library where a delightful picnic basket is on a top shelf. I have signage that swings down when you open it explaining about how you found the cache intentionally or not, blah blah blah.
I’d like to place one inside the library in my hometown, but it’s kinda sorta frowned upon to place a cache where you can’t routinely do maintenance. Buuuuuuut, since my parents and my in-laws are there… eh… I’ll say it’s a grey area, but I’m sure others would argue against me on it.
I just think library caches are super fun and give you a unique opportunity to create a cache that doesn’t need all the weather requirements that outdoor caches need. Plus, I’ve learned a lot about libraries both from creating a cache for one and visiting all the other ones. Those library notice boards are pretty great and sometimes you can score a sweet book from their bookstore.

2 Likes

My husband works at a public library, and showed your post to his boss. She has encouraged him to write up a proposal to do this. Hopefully it’s approved! Thank you for sharing this awesome idea!

3 Likes

I :heart: this so much. It makes me heart happy to hear that. So who’s going to craft it? wiggles eyebrows at you

And, lucky!!! Your husband gets to work in a library!!! I volunteer in one, once I can go back.

Most likely I will end up crafting most of it. I can probably get my niece to help me. Actually, if you have a list of supplies needed that you could PM me, that would be immensely helpful!

He’s only been at this library for two months. Before moving to SC, he worked at the Phoenix public library. The branch he works in now is even smaller than the smallest branch for Phoenix (which was tiny. I didn’t think one could be smaller!). Be he loves it, and that is what matters. :blush:

1 Like

Working on your message!

1 Like