Cuddly Monster Friend - Blue Dragon Plushie

I made this adorable dragon plush for @GeekyBookworm in the 2024 Monster Swap! She specifically said she didn’t want anything scary or creepy, and he is very definitely not either of those things. :dragon: :sparkling_heart: He was so sweet it was hard to send him away, but I know he’s being adored in his intended home. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :cherry_blossom:

After tons and tons of painful searching, and even buying a couple patterns that I rejected for this project (I will likely make them or cannibalize parts of them for later projects), I stumbled across a website with some free dragon patterns, and they also had a cute little bat plush, as well. Here’s the site with the base patterns: Cuddly Dragons. After doing some arranging and thinking and back MS Paint “photoshop” sketching, I Franken-patterned things! In the end, I used 3: Snowy the Bean Bag Dragon (spikes and neck), Azhreia (body and head patterns), and Batty (wings). I also re-drew and combined the back legs into the under-body piece, and I extended the spikes in both directions to run the full length of the body/tail tapering them off at the end. I also used safety eyes but added felt backing to make them look a bit bigger; I love his almost puppy-dog expression. :smiling_face: I attached the wings by the short side, instead of the longer one. The horns I self-drafted out of felt. I am so absolutely delighted with how he turned out!

Here’s all his main pattern pieces laid out on the stretch plush fabric I used:

I’m super proud of getting his extra long back spikes to work out; they were very difficult to trace and also turn after sewing, but I go there in the end!

And here’s what they looked like in the sewing-in process. I used soooo many pins/clips to make this fluffy, stretchy stuff cooperate. It also shed all over everything, and there was much use of the lint roller…

Here’s a close-up of his safety eyes backed with little felt ovals, which I free-handed completely as “felt right.”

Next, the absolutely clip-stravaganza that he required to get his body sewn together. I had attached the wings directly to the top of his body, so I had to literally roll them up and squish them back and forth inside as I sewed around the edges. :laughing:

For his cuddly factor to be appropriate, he needed weight, so I made little round “pouches” out of batting and filled them with glass toy beads that have been in my stash since I lived in Japan in 2008-2010! I tucked one into each of his feet before stuffing with regular toy stuffing fluff. I also made a larger rectangular bead-filled pillow for his belly area, and then stuffed over and around that.

He’s adorable in both his unstuffed and stuffed states. :grin:

And here he is in all his glory, plus hopping into his box to head out to his new home. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I had so much fun making this dragon for the swap, and it was lovely to do something majorly creative and crafty again after so long not really have the energy or time or brain space. :heart:

Bonus shot of him hanging out with a Sand Worm, Hezekiah the Skeleton, and the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. :grin: :+1:

~Erin :rabbit2:

This project has been entered in Monster Jam 2024!

28 Likes

SOOOOooo cute!!!

Thank you for sharing that process!

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I know I love seeing other people’s in-progress stages of a project, even when it’s not a full tutorial, so I try to remember to take photos along the way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The beads will make for such a lovely weighty feel for sure. Super cute and wonderful colours as well.

1 Like

Thank you! I do love a plushie with good heft to it. Makes it feel more like a cuddly animal. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Super freakin’ cute!

1 Like

The dragon plushie is ADORABLE!

1 Like

He is so cute!!! I love him!! Right now he is curled up on my pillows! :smile:

1 Like

He’s adorable! It looks like you put so much time and attention to detail into making him just right.

1 Like

He’s so cute!

1 Like

I love him to bits! He’s so cute and I really enjoyed seeing how he was made!

1 Like

Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing all the details, you did such beautiful, thoughtful work to make this!

1 Like

Oh my goodness. So much attention to detail and amazing work. This is so cute! Piecing together three patterns is not easy. Love the way it turned out! Amazing work.

1 Like

I really love that you made little pouches to hold the beads…less likely to cause a mess if any seam breaks!

Very clever…and cute…the face is adorable!

1 Like

:tulip: :sun_behind_rain_cloud: :rainbow: Well, lookie here! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :tulip: :sun_behind_rain_cloud: :rainbow:

1 Like

The eyes! The wings! The spikes! So awesome.

1 Like

Holy wow! If you didn’t show the progress pics, I might not have believed you made this (not really, I know your craftmanship!). The little extra touches (combining patterns, adding the felt behind the eyes, those spikes!, the added bead weight) really make this guy super special. Absolutely adore him!

1 Like

This is so absolutely, amazingly adorable! Is it weird to say I want to kiss the dragon’s nose?!?! The spikes turned out amazingly (no pun intended) and look absolutely perfect!

1 Like

Aw, he’s so cute! That spine looks difffffficult to sew; good job!

1 Like

Very cute!

1 Like