Custom Persona 5 Nintendo Switch joy cons

Every year my husband and I make each other birthday presents. We recently moved across the country from a house to an apartment and don’t have much room for decorative things so I had to think a bit outside the box and find something functional. I bought an extra set of joy cons and I ordered extra shells from eBay in the colors I needed along with some shiny metallic silver buttons. I painted the shells using acrylic paint pens and coated them with an acrylic glaze, then I sent them to a guy on eBay to swap everything out for me. I am super proud of how well they turned out!

I ran into some issues with one of the joy cons reacting strangely to the acrylic glaze and had to order a second one. If anyone else decides to try this I would recommend hand washing the shells prior to painting them.

13 Likes

OMG these are SO COOL!!! Persona has some of the best graphic design of any video games, and that all looks gREAT on those controllers! Awesome idea!

1 Like

They really do, I was worried about working in such limited space so I drew my concept out in advance on my iPad lol.

1 Like

That’s so fun that you make each other birthday gifts each year! I love that you were able to come up with an idea that wasn’t just functional, but definitely fun as well!

2 Likes

These are very cool! And what a fun tradition of handmade gifts.

When I worked at a personalized gift shop, we used to wipe the items down with alcohol before painting them. Not that you can buy rubbing alcohol these days…

1 Like

This is just the coolest idea!

1 Like

Wow! Clever concept and they came out SO nicely! Love them!

1 Like

These look amazing! I love the Persona series so I’m so envious of your hubby!

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, I will keep this in mind next time I paint a plastic surface. Thanks!

Awesome!!!

1 Like

Lookin’ cool, Joker!

Wow, these are amazing, and a wonderful interpretation of Persona 5. I love them. :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes