D20 Merry Critmas D&D Ornament

This was made for @roler in the Ongoing Ornament Swap. That swap has been a blast!

Both @roler and I like D&D, so I decided to make a 3-D 20-sided die. I was excited to try “paper piecing”, a quilting technique I’d never used. This was actually a little easier than regular paper piecing, because I used cardboard triangles and left them in place so that the complex structure would stay rigid.

Here’s a progress shot that shows the mess inside.

Since rolling a 20 is a “critical hit”, I added a ribbon that says, “Merry Critmas”. :grin:

This was super fun to make. It was either beginner’s luck or else paper piecing is easier with cardboard, because my second effort at paper piecing - using paper instead of cardboard - was a failure!

38 Likes

Wow, just WOW. And very, very cool.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Delightfully nerdy and cool.

2 Likes

Really neat! The metallic fabric? leather? vinyl? is perfect!

2 Likes

Oh so cool! What a smart technique to use. It turned out amazing!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a metallic vinyl… Or something like that. It was way easier to sew than other vinyl I’ve worked with in the past. Just used a regular needle instead of a leatherworking needle.

In its former life it was a zipper pouch that I picked up for a quarter at a garage sale, specifically to reuse the (damaged and stained in places) fabric. Maybe it’s pleather? A lot more supple than regular vinyl and sews like a dream.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

3 Likes

Nerdily cute and recycled, too! Great ornie!

2 Likes

What a cool ornament! Very creative and cute.

2 Likes

Very cool! At first I kept looking thinking you misspelled Christmas. LOL! Awesome project. Love the inclusion of the inside of it.

2 Likes

Neat to see how it was made inside!

I love my ornament so much! Thank you!!

2 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

Nerdy-cool is the best kind of cool! I love this technique for 3D construction!

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

This is geektastic!!

1 Like

Congrats! Your D20 D&D Ornament is one of this week’s featured projects. You are awesome!

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks!

Congrats!

This is so fun! I totally missed the “Critmas” part on the ribbon… it is so fitting. I like the shiny material, too.

1 Like

That ornament is so great!

1 Like

This is so awesome! I’m tempted to make some for my game group next season - did you use a tutorial for the paper piecing?

1 Like