Daffodil cake

Daffodil cake is named so because it is yellow & white marbled. It is kind of an angel food cake that does use yolks. My husband’s aunt makes it every spring. we often eat it with raspberries or strawberries and whipped cream.

Daffodil Cake

1 cup cake flour
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
12 egg whites
1-1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar (yes a second 3/4 cup)
6 egg yolks
1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract (i omit because husband doesn’t like almond)

Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit

Sift together flour and 3/4 c sugar plus 2 Tablespoons sugar. set aside

In a large mixer bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, & salt until foamy. On high speed, beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar- 2 Tablespoons at a time until meringue holds stiff peaks. In small mixer bowl- beat egg yolks until very think and lemon colored. Gently fold extracts into meringue.

Sprinkle flour-sugar mixture, 1/4 at a time, over meringue, folding in gently just until flour-sugar mixture disappears. Pour half the batter into egg yolks & gently fold to combine.

Spoon yellow & white batters alternately into an ungreased tube pan. Gently cut through batters to swirl.

Bake on bottom shelf of oven about 40 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Invert pan on bottle or funnel (or pan legs if your tube pan has them) ; let hang until cool.

9 Likes

A nice light cake for spring, especially with fresh berries! Thanks for sharing…lovely presentation!

1 Like

Ooo…yum! I agree, perfect for spring!

1 Like

It looks delicious, especially with the strawberries! :strawberry:

1 Like

Such a pretty and delicious-looking presentation. Plus I love angel food cake!

2 Likes

This sounds so yummy!

1 Like

This brings back childhood memories, my mom made the best angel food cake and fresh raspberries from our own patch. I used to think it was funny to hang a cake to cool it.

2 Likes

I still have my mom’s original tube cake pan. I remember when angel food cakes came into fashion and everyone was making them! My mom would come up with some creative ways to make the plain cake more delicious with fruits and toppings. Crushed pineapple was one of them.

This was indeed a delightful walk back memory lane!

2 Likes

This looks springy and delicious!

1 Like