Dahlia the cat

This is Dahlia the Cat. After I made a few of the felted animals I decided to make a black cat resembling my girl Dahlia. I didn’t realize that the black felt would absorb so much light so she can be hard to get a picture of. I thought clothes would help so I figured out shoes and a dress for her. They were my own pattern, simple but I think with a few tweaks I can make them cuter. I want her to have a couple of outfit choices. This one has a four-leaf clover on it to combat the unlucky black cat stigma.
I have to give a thank you to @curiousfae for sending me some needle felting supplies because I used them to add the pink to her ears.
Dahlia is made of felt, embroidery floss, wool stuffing, and pipe cleaners and is poseable.
PS. I have done more hand sewing in quarantine than I have ever done in my entire life! Ha!

And here she is hanging out with her friend Sunny on the windowsill.

I made her by slightly altering the lion pattern from CynthiaTreenStudios on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/591534735/ludwig-lionheart-pdf-pattern?ref=shop_home_active_14

24 Likes

She is so cute!

1 Like

Adorable! Glad you got her dress done! And those shoes!!! So cute! I love the pic of her and Sunny together. Do I spy a tiny glass of lemonade? :grin:

1 Like

She is so cute! I want to be bffs with her!

1 Like

I totally LOVE her!!! She looks like she could be the girlfriend of the Pink Panther. Love the shape of her head and that adorable nose…

2 Likes

EEEP! So adorable! Her little dress!

Adorable.

1 Like

She is so precious! She and her doggy friend look like they are having a fun conversaion.

I agree, I hate the stigma against black cats. I love my black kitty to bits. We’ve always had black cats at my house!

1 Like

Oh my goodness, how cute!!

1 Like

How stinking cute is she?! Love the dress design.

1 Like

She’s so cute and, well, perky! Her little outfit just takes her to the next level, too. ACK! And hanging out with her pal? THE BEST!

Topic-Adjacent Anecdote: My mostly black pup, Delia, often gets called Dahlia in both spoken and written communication.

2 Likes

That would drive me bonkers! One of the vet receptionists calls her Delilah and my eyes bug and I clench my jaw every time. I try so hard not to be irritated but I can’t help it. It’s been 14 yrs and she does it each time, even when she is reading her name directly off the chart. I need to chill. Lol!

1 Like

I get Delilah, too! I’m not very bothered by it, but really curious about “why is 'Delia” so hard, people?" People who spell their name like I do, t-a-r-a, pronounce it two different ways (at least in the US) and there are some people who just can’t get mine right, even if they do not see it spelled until after they have heard me say it and I just roll with it. There are people in my life who it bugs, but not me. And then sometimes it’s mostly about accent.

1 Like

Which way do you pronounce your name? Dahlia has two different pronunciations. I pronounce it like doll-e-uh

Mine is like the “terra” in terra cotta, terra firma, etc. I get taw-ruh a lot which is undetstandable, but really weird from people who hear it rather than see it or hear it first. When I had my painting business, I was in a networking group that met monthly. One of the other members had a daughter “taw-ruh” and he always got my name right, but another member ALWAYS called me “taw-ruh” and when the 3 of us were standing together the first one would always make a point of saying my name correctly and we’d make brief meaningful eye contact! HA! Of course, pronouncing something differently is different than changing it to another name! Once I worked in a retail/wholesale type situation where a particular customer knew my name in person and knew the only other woman working there, Carol, but on the phone he called me Karen. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: At my high school graduation, the school board member who handed my my diploma as I walked across the stage after the principal had said my name said, “Congratulations, Karen.” This has new meaning lately, I guess!

2 Likes

you rocked this SO hard! i can’t wait to see her different outfits.

happy to help out with such a fun project. did it make you want to try and needle felt anything else?

1 Like

Yes! I think needle felting will be the next project I try… Once I am done making sewn felt creatures.

1 Like

She’s so cute. I love her and her little puppy pal just hanging out.
I love the little buttons on the dress!

2 Likes