Daily quilt 2019

Yes, 2019 was forever ago. But I did just complete it this year.

Every year for the past few years I have made a daily quilt. Some years I use hard data (temperature high and low) some years I use less precise data sets (sky colour at 4pm)
For 2019 I set the pattern (drunkards path accquilt die for the win) and the colour palette but every day I asked someone different to choose between two colours. A primary and a secondary made up of the primary. (I’m sure I asked (some of you)
This was a cool project. I connected with people on fb and insta, people in real life, folks I haven’t talked to in person in ages. And the number of conversations about colour and colour theory was frankly surprising.

I went into it with a vision of how it would turn out. And what I thought people’s choices would be. I was so wrong.
I assumed the primary colour would take precedent over the month. Not so. Especially for purple months.
I had no idea the hatred yellow inspires. And people love to be precise with green.

24 Likes

Yellow is my least favorite color…and yes, greens have a lot of variations…although, I would suspect blue does as well…but, nevertheless, what an interesting concept for a quilt colorway…it turned out beautifully! Are they put together in the same order of the day? The process of having others pick colors makes it a community quilt…you do make the most interesting quilts!

2 Likes

Holy cats, woman, that is amazeballs! Gosh, I love it. The shapes are so… squiggley? They look like faces, or game controllers, or Disney ears maybe? Little M’s. upside down W’s. Those funny toy eyes you put on a finger

Whatever they are, you made something incredible here. So cool.

6 Likes

Top row is January. Read left to right. Starting with the green.

Each row is a month. Each colour is a day.

3 Likes

This is such a cool concept and striking result. And it’s got me thinking about color. I don’t even dislike yellow, but I realize I would pick orange or green over it pretty much every time.

1 Like

What a unique idea! And the results are lovely.

1 Like

This is absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

Lovely! I’d never get one of these even finished so kudos to you!

1 Like

I LOVE it! Both the quilt, and the story of how it was created.

1 Like

I love this idea and how it turned out! :heart: I love, love, love yellow. But I know everyone thinks I’m insane. I have no idea how people could hate this beautiful colour :yellow_heart: :sunflower: :sunny: We have had a bright yellow rug in the middle of our living room for years and the reactions have been, ehm, mixed.

1 Like

I love yellow. Maybe not to wear. But I’ve owned at least one pair of yellow converse since 1986.
My accents at home are yellow.It’s so fresh

1 Like

Also love yellow
In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve never met a colour I didn’t like!

3 Likes

Fantastic concept, and a beautiful quilt! Wow!

1 Like

Wow! How fascinating! It’s so cohesive.

In terms of finishing WIPs, I think I have a few that from well before 2019 :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Such a cool concept!! Love the story of unexpected conversations and outcomes.

1 Like

WOW! This project is soooooo cooooool and the result is both interesting and pretty.

1 Like

This is really neat!!!

1 Like

This is absolutely amazing!

1 Like