Day-of-the-Dead Puppy Pincushion

My swap partner @bethntim received her pincushion, so now I can post it here.

She said she liked Halloween and dogs, so I combined the two themes into one pincushion.

The initial inspiration was a turn-of-the-century pincushion that had a little doggie (or kitty? Hard to say…) on top.

For my modernized version, I knew I had to use black velvet for the puppy. When I found the Day-of-the-Dead doggie fabric, that influenced the whole design.

The antique pincushion had a tape measure for a tail. I couldn’t manage to pull that off, but this puppy will hold a pair of scissors for you if you want.

I’m so glad @bethntim likes it… I was so excited to make something that really seemed to match her interests. So fun to make! I loved the swap!!!

18 Likes

This is super cute and great way to combine those themes!

1 Like

I love it so hard! Thanks again, it’s sitting on my desk ready to help me sew!

1 Like

This is so clever and cute. I love his eyes. Great inspiration too.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness. This is the best!

2 Likes

This is absolutely adorable!

2 Likes

Nice interpretation of the original. I love the scissors nook.

2 Likes

She made a friend!

1 Like

How clever and adorable! I love your modern twist!

2 Likes

What a fun design! I love the idea to recreate the vintage version. That sleek black fur reminds me of the pound puppies that used to be around when I was a kid.
It’s exciting when you come up with something that feels so perfect for a swap. This is great, all around!

2 Likes

It is very similar to old school pound puppy fabric but more velvet-y

1 Like

It’s a 4-way stretch velvet. Not sure what Pound Puppies were made of, or how this compares…

1 Like

So very cute! I like the fact that the puppy can be considered the pincushion holder and not the pincushion itself.

2 Likes

Thanks! Of course, you CAN put pins in the dog if you want/need to. (But I doubt I could bring myself to do it!) If you use those little clips for sewing, you could put those on her ears and/or tail.

1 Like

Absolutely adorable!

2 Likes