What went right:
- I made a pattern before cutting the fabric. It fit quite well.
- The fabric is really cute.
- I used dishwasher-safe Mod Podge on one shoe (with the big white skull at the toe), and white glue on the other, so I can see if it makes a difference. Outdoor MP might be better, but costs twice as much. MP and glue stuck the fabric on about equally well–see #1 in what went wrong.
- I never wore these shoes anyway.
What went wrong:
- I had planned to use some cotton fabric with a black-and-white skull design, but decided this was cuter. Unfortunately, it was a backpack from the dollar store, and is made of nylon, a not-very-absorbent material. Wrinkles, poor adhesion, edges pulling loose… It was such a pain to work with, I didn’t cover the back part of the shoes, just painted them.
- The shoes were a little bit stretchy. The sugar skull fabric is not…so the shoes are now too tight.
I post the failures so you don’t have to make the same mistakes!