Day or the Dead Halloween Costume

Originally, I was going to a Steampunk Halloween Party, but it was cancelled due to illness. I still had a neighbourhood party, so I decided to forgo the gears/goggles/brass and go with a ’Day of the Dead’ costume.

I had thrifted the bright pink and black corset ages ago. I found a black lace top and wrap to complete the look. Unfortunately, the lace top was lined and very visible through the corset. It fit snugly, so I carefully opened up the seams to remove the lining, but it still was visible under the corset. I ended up just sewing the sleeves and shoulders to the corset, with a piece down the back to cover the gap, then added a flounce and trim to the neckline and used the lace back for fingerless gloves.

The back inside:

Flowers from stash and some lace became the headpiece.

As my attempt at the makeup was a failure, I ‘made-up’ a skeleton cup from the dollar store instead - Sharpies, ‘gems’ and trim flowers.

15 Likes

This seems like it could be a surprisingly versatile costume! COOL!

1 Like

It all looks so great together! And I love the decorated cup!

1 Like

Wow! It’s fabulous! Looks great on you, too.

1 Like

Cool! Love the colors.

I wore my wedding dress as a day of the dead costume a few years ago!

3 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Great repurposing! I love the veil.

1 Like

You did an amazing job!
Great upcycling!

1 Like

What’s a great way to reuse your wedding dress!

1 Like

Thank you!!

Way to pivot. All that amazing work and the party was canceled?! Yikes! I am glad you found another venue for your beautiful costume.
@Bunny1kenobi Did you see this?

2 Likes

Wow! Way to pivot, indeed!!

1 Like

Thank you!

WoW! :heart_eyes: I must say amazing work and specially the skeleton cup wins my heart :blush:.
Simply superb!

1 Like

Thanks!